Friday, August 15, 2014

Changeable Weather

There's a saying around here that if you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes.  Well we've been waiting several days, and not had much sunny warm weather.  It's been down below 10°C. (50°F.) at night for too long now.  Our tomatoes will never get enough heat to ripen.  And it's been raining just when I don't want it!

These were the clouds last night, typical of the gray blowing and on-again off-again rainy weather this week.

The concrete contractors arrived on Monday and dug out the area for our long-delayed patio, and a corner of the driveway.  By late Tuesday it was think clay soup from the rain!

It dried enough that they came back Wednesday and laid out the frames, but then the rain returned.  The clouds tricked me into thinking it was going to be sunny, but no luck.

 But this morning things were looking up, a little warmer, and some blue sky behind the lighter clouds.

And this afternoon the sky was looking downright beautiful, though it was still quite cool.  Perfect weather for pouring concrete I thought, but they were finishing other rain-delayed jobs first, so no concrete til Monday now.  I just want to get this over with!
Linking to:
 http://skyley.blogspot.ca/

12 comments:

  1. Very dramatic skies. I've had about enough of the rain for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it improves tomorrow. We're supposed to go to a wedding party and I want the weather to be good for them!
    I've been picking my tomatoes as soon as they start to show a bit of color. I heard somewhere that it will help the others come along. I'm not so sure about my Green Giant tomatoes which never turn red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have our heat and dry weather..... I want a return to our cool, rainy PNW climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same story over here. And we have the same saying about the weather too. I also pick tomatoes as soon as they show a slight orange tinge, but they're slow to do even that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking up at times to watch the skies; suppose to clear up this week (I hope they are right).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really miss those rain clouds. We see them so seldom in Texas, and when we do, we do happy rain dances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those clouds have blown to the Maritimes now!! It's cool and I'm about to put socks and sneakers on my cold feet. :) What happened to summer?? I enjoyed all your cloudy sky shots. I hope it dries up for you so the patio can be poured. I imagine you'd like to be able to enjoy it before it's too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather has been frustrating here too! I want some sun, please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the sky in that first photo looks particularly ominous! So much of North America has been deluged with rain, while other areas are parched and/or ablaze. Too bad it can't spread itself out more uniformly!

    The nights here have been chilly for a while now! We open the house up at night, and even after a very hot day the day before, the temp inside the house will be 62º when I get up in the morning! Brr. The chill of an early fall?

    I do hope you get the concrete-drying and tomato-ripening weather you need! The weather can sure be frustrating sometimes, in large part because there isn't a darned thing we can do about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are having some much-needed rain today. Not enough, but some. Nice and cool here. Probably not making the summer enthusiasts happy, especially on a weekend.

    ReplyDelete