Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Crocosmia and Clematis

The last of the bright flowers in the garden I'll share for now, and a real marker of mid-summer, is the bright red Crocosmia.  Our plant is getting bigger and bigger, with twice as many blooms as last year, where it's the bright red at the back of the garden (see pictures two days ago).  But in fact, I always think the view from behind is nicer, where the Crocosmia flowers are highlighted by themselves, poking our decorative fence.

 
 
Right beside the Crocosmia, a new clematis that was only a tiny vine getting started last year has exploded in deep purple blossoms all over the fence post.  We've never had a clematis that bloomed like this, and it's been in full bloom for nearly a month now!

Further down, there's a group of sunflowers now standing up with orange and brown blooms quite a bit higher than the fence.

Tomorrow, back to other topics.

On Monday night I did remember to come out at ten o'clock and see the International Space Station pass over.  It was dark, and a brilliantly clear night.  At first I couldn't see anything beyond the usual stars, so I waited a moment or two for my eyes to get used to the dark.  I turned around and there it was, the brightest thing in the sky other than the moon, sailing over the roof of the house and heading straight east.  It moves surprisingly fast, and was gone in a few minutes.

And I thought to myself, if we can produce that sort of modern technology today, why can't we figure out how to solve some of the more basic problems in society, like poverty and peace!

Linking to:
http://run-a-roundranch.blogspot.ca/


20 comments:

  1. I so agree with you, peace world-wide, we need more than a miracle for that right now, Super blooms, and a purple clematis. how does it stay alive in your winters? Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weathered fence makes an excellent contrast with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that contrast between the beautiful colours and that worn fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these colors together. And the contrast really is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely colours in your garden too; I love the clematis and the rustic fence. Yes 'winter' here on east coast of N.S.W. is good. Rarely a frost even; that I like! I remember looking for, and seeing the space shuttle overhead and like you was surprised how fast it travelled. Yes, a lot more things need to be solved, I agree

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Crocosmia gets too tall and flops every year, I like your rustic fence for a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I had a Crocosmia once. It lasted two years and was unhappy before succumbing to my poor soil. I really would need to dig out all the gardens and lug in real dirt to have anything good. And I can't afford that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, lush and gorgeous! and marvelous fences to boot! :) thanks for linking these!

    you are the 4th blogger this week that i've seen post about crocosmia. i am learning this beauty thanks to that repeated lesson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful brightly colored flowers! And photographing them next to the old, weathered fence adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW...so beautiful, that fence and blooms are in perfect harmony!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh these fences are the proper beauty for flowers. Love it all. Smart lady of how to use them. Makes gardening

    worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Just LOVE that fence and your beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful decorative fence in your own yard. Your garden accents everything so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers are so pretty against the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the weathered wood and flowers go well togeether

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful colours against the cedar rail fence.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent fence photos! Love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I stopped by to visit your SkyWatch post, but when I hit the bottom of it to leave a comment these flowers of yours caught my eye and demanded my immediate attention! :-) They are gorgeous and impressive, each of them! And that wonderful weathered split-rail fence sets them off perfectly! Truly, these look like calendar photos. Though I'm a longtime and loyal fan of clematis and sunflowers (and purple coneflower, which I believe I spy modestly waving in the background), the crocosmia steals this show for me. I'd not heard of that flower before, though I think I've seen it around - I must look into this, because if it'll grow here in northern WY, I want some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I agree with your observation about our amazing ability to advance technology and our amazing inability to just be kind to our fellow beings and our Earth home. I'm thinking you meant to say you saw the International Space Station fly over (we mothballed the Space Shuttles recently, which really surprised me at the time!) I do think many of the photos taken from space of our lonesome, beautiful, fragile-looking planet (with no manmade fake borders and divisions visible), along with some of the heartfelt quotes by the international astronauts who got to enjoy the view first-hand, have opened some earthbound hearts and eyes at times, just not enough. It's a perspective we should remind ourselves of more often, so thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  19. Yep, better from the back!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete