Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fall Burs - Agrimony

When I go wandering off trail through the woods in the fall, as I frequently do, my sox usually come back laden with some sort of burs, and sometimes my sweatshirt or jacket sleeves likewise.  For two years I've been gathering pictures that would let me post about the most common burs we find on our sox around here, so here they are.

The most common is almost always Agrimony (Agrimonia), here shown stuck to my sweatshirt, as it sometimes is.  More often it's in my sox, as it tends to be low to the ground.  It's easy to identify by the distinct triangular shape, about a quarter inch across.  They also pull off easily, so though they're a nuisance, they're not really bothersome.

This is really a group of several nearly identical species, properly referred to as Agrimonies unless you're a technically expect botanist (which I'm not!).  The bur grows on a long slender stem as in this picture, just waiting to snag itself on an unwary sock.

And this is an Agrimony much earlier in the season when the plant is in bloom.  It features several inches of tiny yellow blossoms that you might almost miss, along the stem, usually in June.  Tracing the burs back to get pictures of each in bloom was what took me two years!


10 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've had burs on my socks and clothing before too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen these type of burrs though I've had other kinds stick to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually grow Agrimony, it is a medicinal herb and can be used for tea. It is a job in fall going around and cutting off all the burrs before they can fall off or snag my clothes. Once I traded some seeds with someone who wanted to grow them.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wildflowers this time of year in our area --but I never ever touch them. Most of the time, they will 'bite' me!!!! I don't like burrs--and sometimes get them on my pants legs and socks when I walk in a field!!!!
    Hugs
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a different shape than the cockle burrs we have here though they look every bit as tenacious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have agrimony, but I'd never paid much attention to the burs. Now I will have to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I encountered a plain grass seed that have buried themselves in my favorite knit pants. They won't wash out and I can't pick them out.

    We have many things that stick here.

    Thanks for coming by and for your comment...that's the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pick up burs when I walk in the woods too but I have never traced them back to the flowers they once were. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am quite familiar with these burrs but did not know what they were. Thank you for putting a name of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your lessons on different burrs. I've never really thought about them before. Now, I will look at them with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete