Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Watching the World go By

I've been sitting here 'watching the world go by' for what seems like the 24th cold rainy day in a row.  April and even March were dotted with a few warm days, designed to delude me into thinking warmer weather was really on its way, but I've been fooled.  Thank goodness I never tire of the view out the window, though it's not really 'going by', it's just sitting still except for the birds and my friendly little Red Squirrel.

The goldfinch was here most of the morning, totally undisturbed by the rain.  A Red-winged Blackbird stopped by, a crow, a Junco or two, a Robin, and a flock of those tiny little Yellow-rumped Warblers that never sit still.

A Downy Woodpecker flew in and out, big enough to scare the other birds momentarily, and a Mourning Dove visited briefly.  A relatively busy and interesting morning for birds.

And our resident Red Squirrel spent a lot of time on the patio nibbling sunflower seeds before dashing back under the shed next door.  It's not disturbed by the rain either.

Our Leopard's Bane is coming into bloom, right under the bird feeder.

And our Magnolia continues to look beautiful, though I can;t see the gorgeous Rhododendrons from my usual viewpoint.

And the rain continues to fall.





16 comments:

  1. These rainy days make me believe I couldn't live in Vancouver. Although the one time I visited there I had 2 weeks of sunshine and it is a gorgeous city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh yes, watching the world go by. the birds are beautiful, i'm glad they are visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those extra warm and sunny teaser days aren't making things any easier are they Stew. I'm longing to go for a nice walk with the day but it just won't stop raining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures. Hope you get some more warm days - we've had a couple in a row now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are looking great. I am from the goldfinch state of Iowa and I have not seen a single goldfinch. They must be illegal immigrants into your country. The warbler I have never seen but all the others I have seen. The squirrels are always busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of 'watching the world go by' down here in our rainy neck of the woods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a nice window on the world, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid it always rained the first or second day that my grandmother's magnolia was in bloom and knocked off almost all the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still waiting for the Goldfinches. We did have a small flock of Pine Siskins at the thistle feeder earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the squirrel, he looks so happy there. We have rain hovering nearby, a few spits this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those warm days in March and April fool me every year - one day I'll learn! At least we don't have to go out in the rain to get our breakfast like the birds do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If we have one nice day, it’s bound to rain for two at least. Hope you can get out and about soon, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain never seems to bother the wildlife. I've got enough rain gear that it doesn't interfere too much with my days. But we have had plenty of rain lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would take some of that rain. It is so very dry here and there is none in the forecast for at least a week. The spring flowers are just lovely. I'm just starting to see a bit of green popping up in the front flower bed.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems as if April was like May, and we're getting April showers in May!

    ReplyDelete