Wednesday, May 12, 2021

International Nursing Week

Today is International Nurses Day, a day we celebrate the enormous contribution that nurses have made to our health.  And in this year of the pandemic that needs no explanation!  Here in Canada it's National Nursing week, and all of this is built around Florence Nightingale's birthday, May 12th.  I won't tell you who else is born that day, but May babies have made an enormous contribution to the world!


I would personally expand the thanks and recognition well beyond Registered Nurses to include nursing aides, paramedics and all those others who give us the care we need - including my favourites, PSWs or Personal Support Workers.  I sometimes think that home care workers make a bigger contribution than anyone else simply because they keep so many people out of the hospitals, living at home.

So join with me in thanking all those nurses for what they've always done, and especially the incredible care they've provided over the past year!



14 comments:

  1. Any of us who've spent time in a hospital or doctors office owe a huge debt of gratitude to nurses and other health care workers. They have done so much over the last 14 months (not to mention all they've done before that) and an all too large number fell to COVID-19.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nurses, aids, paramedics and PSWs are so important and deserve our thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they deserve our thanks!! They are very special people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurses in Canada and USA and other countries worked hard last year for sure. I follow a lady, on Facebook, who is a nurse in a hospital and her dad died last year too. (He didn't die from the virus.) Hard for her to go thru all that. Thanks for all the nurses and paramedics who help people in the illness and injury, etc. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they are priceless. We have lost many during the pandemic down here in the US. So I too am happy to honor every last one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely indispensable.

    My brother shares a birthday with Florence Nightengale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you all the way. My neighbors are paramedics. I don't know how they do it shift after shift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a facebook post that shows a IV stand(s) with so much on them and the caption "There isn't a doctor in the world who can set this up. Thank a nurse."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Down here, I personally am so thankful for the ambulance paramedics, who arrive after a triple ONE call, at all hours day and night, 5 a.m. ,1 a.m. 5.30 p.m. did they have a meal? are their families managing while they do a long shift? Then the nurses, I have been so well cared for each time I have been in either the ED ( Emergency Department) or a ward. The last visit to ED, it must have been about 2 a.m. they brought in a wider softer adjustable bed, a warm sheet, tucked me in, and made sure I was not in any pain. Up North in Canada, you will so truly know the selfless hours they dedicate to all patients, and save countless lives. My Mum was a psychiatric nurse, she gained top marks in her final orals, came Second in all the finals throughout New Zealand, and went on to be a Deputy Matron at Kingseat Hospital before they were married. I only knew of those top marks when a fellow nurse was at her funeral and she told me how my tiny Mum was so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a former support worker I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are the angels on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday!

    I do agree that our health care workers have been rock stars over this past year. Sadly, not everyone appreciates their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy we are in Canada, with out universal healthcare!

    ReplyDelete