Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Seasons Roll On

I'm back, and got the article with its immediate deadline done, sent off and approved for publication.  Sometime I'll adapt it for a blog post, but meanwhile I have several things to catch up on.  I'm still working on a couple of other pieces that need to evolve in my head and will take a good deal longer.  I will likely miss a few posts here.

today I want to reflect on the changing seasons.  I've never believed there were just four seasons, or that they start and end on the equinox and solstice as scheduled.  This year is just like all the others as we start moving into fall in early August and see the peak of the fall colours in early October.  More than half the fall season according to the planets is the desolate grey of November and early December.


To me, the yellow of the Goldenrod marks the coming of August, the end of summer and the beginning of fall.  I always watch for it's bright yellow blooms.  It always seems to arrive when summer is only half-way over!

Here around Meaford and Clarksburg the apple season is the biggest indicator of early fall once September arrives.  Apples are ripening on the trees and the big bins are ready for the harvest, largely picked by migrant workers.  This farm is switching to the big plastic bins from the old wooden ones.  We bought our first new apples of the season, some Early Gold and Zestars, just the other day.

Most birds have been out of sight the past 6 weeks, and many have already left for sunnier climes.  It's the quietest time of the entire year for birds.  I think I've only heard a single Nuthatch in the past two weeks, not even Blue Jays or Crows.  But the Ring-billed Gulls are back, gathering together on the golf course in early morning, presumably feeding on worms.  They are so dispersed during the day, I don't know where these al come from!

Not many butterflies left either, though the Monarchs are gathering to migrate, clusters of them on bushes over along the Lake Huron shore.  All these look bright orange and untattered, the most recent generation that has just emerged.

And finally, just the past week, the trees are starting to turn colour. Just small hints in these pictures, but we saw quite a few yellow leaves driving to Owen Sound and back yesterday.

Crops too are looking different.  The wheat is harvested and now only the soybeans and corn remain for this year.  Both are looking mature, and the beans are turning yellow.

Here at home the garden is nearing the end, but we're overwhelmed with tomatoes.  These will be the last though, and garden clean-up has begun.  Mrs. F.G. is progressing steadily with the new plantings and transplanting, with the help of our gardener who does the heavy work.  He should be arriving in about 20 minutes today.

The fall flowers are in bloom, the Brown-eyed Susans, the Butterfly Bush, the Echinacea and this gentle pink Fall Anemone, food for a foraging bee.

And pumpkins are for sale, including the occasional giant one here.  We have new front planters and 3 small pumpkins sitting out front.

It's supposed to be a nice day and I'm hoping the sun will peek through the light cloud cover a lot!  Good day to be out and about.  Hope your weekend goes well.





19 comments:

  1. Your season is easilty 3 to 4 weeks ahead of ours. My goldrod (native that I plant in my garden) is just starting to form buds. Our Monarch caterpillars are also going into their green cover mode. It is wonderful seeing your beautiful area since we no longer travel like we used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes think that the idea of the four seasons was invented by a city-dweller who didn't look out of the window very often. We're promised temperatures of 30 C next week, but it's not as new a phenomenon as some people believe; I remember it was always warm and sunny in September when I was a schoolboy and I had to go back to school, and my Dad said it was the same when he was at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! For me the sound of autumn is the big black crows we see all year round, but they only make a racket at this time of year. Caw caw caw. It reminds me of staying with my grandparents at the very end of the summer holidays. I think the crows are late this year.
    I found my grandparents’ death certificates by chance yesterday. They died in 1972. So very long ago. Both in their late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely sunny day here and I have seen several Monarchs this morning. Heading south for the winter - smart creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a treat to see your area and read your posts. BC is grey smoked from the fires on the California/Oregon/Washington fires.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    We are having an early fall to, our trails are covered with fallen leaves. They could be down because of a drought. I love the view of the gulls and the orchard. We have plenty of tomatoes here too. Beautiful Monarch photo. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, summer is for sure winding down and the beauty of fall has begun. One of my favorite things about fall is the apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are stuck inside with very unhealthy air quality, and since I'm officially an elder, I'm stuck inside. Love your pretty color change; we are starting to see the same around here, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back. In spite of those who use astronomical seasons it's fall now -- leaves are turning color and the birch leaves are falling already. The last of the wildflowers are in bloom and even fading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our orchards don’t open for another two weeks. Can’t wait though.

    The early signs of autumn are the same here. I hate to see summer slip by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy the changing of seasons as our landscape transforms through its myriad of colors. Autumn is the beautiful calm before the storm and is a time of quiet reflection,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seeing a lot of birds around my yard here in E.Ontario. The robins and flickers are in big gangs on the lawn. The blue jays are scrapping over food now that their mature feathers are in and they have come out of the bush. The crows are back for the winter. They nest out in a gigantic pine out by the road, then disappear for awhile after the youngsters fledge. They are noisy devils!! They get in our compost pit and pick and chose the best morsels. They make little piles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen big pumpkins nearby! I love this season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I go with the meteorological start date for Fall which is always the first of September. I've seen some leaves that have turned but I suspect it is due to the drought we've had more than temperature. These past days we've had terrible smoke and haze making the sun look strangely like the full moon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have the same kind of Fall...however our Nuthatches stay here year round:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am so jealous of your tomatoes, my garden was enjoyed by the squirrels and the other yard animals!!

    our autumn has begun. leaves and temperatures are falling. i love goldenrod, it grows along our beaches and the monarchs follow it during migration!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of tomatoes, I need to get working with mine, they are filling up my counter. :)
    Sad to be turning our gardens over already, where did summer go?

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have been unable to have any success with tomatoes since moving to Texas. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you need to increase your credit score?
    Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
    Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
    Do you need any information concerning any database.
    Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
    Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
    Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
    you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
    contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete