Saturday, September 5, 2020

Challenge Updates, Sorting Files

Challenges

My challenges have been going well.  In my run/walk for the Meaford Hospital I have accumulated 16.8 km. in 4 days, and I have until Sept. 19th to keep adding more.   I don't have much chance in that category though, a serious cyclist could do 100 km. in a single day.  I've also challenged my coffee buddies to sponsor me and we're doing quite well as they're all outbidding each other, pushing the total up, and they can all afford it!  The goal is to encourage donations to the Meaford Hospital.

The other challenge is the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage in Spain.  I'm now up to 104.9 km., which sounds great, but I need 780 to finish.  I still estimate it will take me a year and a half given that I can't ride in the winter.  (It's a 5-6 week walk in real life.)  But it's fun, and I've been surprised at how much these challenges, artificial as they are, do inspire me to get out there and keep moving - even if the chair does all the work.

I'm also learning very quickly where all the rough spots on the roads are, and which side of the street I should ride down!

Sorting Files

Have you given any thought (assuming you live with a partner) to how they would deal with banking, bills, insurance, etc. if you were to suddenly get seriously ill or drop dead tomorrow?  In my case it happened and we learned very quickly how difficult it was.  I was basically incapacitated for 7 months.

Mrs. F.G. was suddenly confronted with the need to pay bills, borrow money, deal with our savings, and keep on top of all the banking.  It was chaos for her at first.  Luckily we already had a financial advisor who she knew who she could turn to for help.  But she spent a lot of time just sorting out my messy files, and developed her own filing system to keep things straight.

So now we're combining our files and getting them clearly organized and labelled.  It will work for both of us, so that will be one thing off the list of pre-demise work to be done!

We had also experienced the sudden death of a good friend where his wife was suddenly and unexpectedly left to deal with everything.  She didn't even know the password to open up the computer.  It was a huge struggle for her, so we had already prepared a complete list of passwords and other critical information that Mrs. F.G. could refer to.  

We had also got Powers of Attorney for Personal Care signed so she could make the medical decisions on my behalf.  And I'm glad we did; she fought for me at every stage during those early months.  But we missed the Power of Attorney for Property.  We didn't think it was needed as we had everything in both our names.  But that isn't enough.  Particularly when it involves banks or the government you can't do the simplest bit of paper work on the other's behalf (like changing an address or paying a bill) without that authorization.

So:  - get your Powers of Attorney in place,
  - write out a list of passwords and important contacts,
  - organize your files!















17 comments:

  1. You're doing well with piling up the km, don't stop!

    H does most of our banking and accounting, but I do it one month a year just to keep familiar with it. She's also a bit of a neat-nick so the files are well organized and up-to-date -- I'm a lucky guy or smart to have married her so many years ago -- never could figure out if it was luck or smarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend who has no relatives here became quite sick several years ago and had no power of attorney forms or anything,. Luckily we had a key to his place and found a phone number of his sister in England and it turned out that he had a bank account over there which his niece was listed on. She was able to wire us money so that we could pay his bills and we went to the hospital every day for 6 months to make sure he was looked after and were able to give the doctors the contact info for his sister. It was a real mess as like you he was in ICU for months and the hospital & rehab for a total of 8 months. We have since had him do the Power of Attorney forms but it was a struggle. So you are giving good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such sound and necessary advice. Hugh would struggle with the finance side of things, our daughters both have the passwords, and we have talked about having their names added to our bank accounts, At 80, and 83, both of us now with a stent in our heart, Hugh's in his RCA, mine in my LAD, life can change in a flash. I though of you so many times when I was in the larger hospital waiting to go to the Cath Lab, I guess the surgeons and staff are prepared for anything that might go wrong, my angiogram went without a problem, although at one point I did hear one surgeon say to the other " Stop there, back a little, now go forward a bit more" maybe when he was placing the stent. I still consider the whole process a miracle. Wheelchair challenges, I think you are a miracle too, and have come so far from those earlier days, Mrs F.G. I know you are so appreciated, that is ditto down here, Hugh has admitted he would not want to be alone now, as he had a fall the other day and could not get up on his feet by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take care of everything. Hubbers doesn't even know how to turn on the computer. I organized everything 3 weeks ago just before I underwent emergency aorta bypass surgery. Now that I am home from hospital, I am giving HUbbers computer lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such good advice. My hubby had a stroke on August 9 and spent two nights in the hospital, but he's recovering well. He's out for a mile walk right now as I write this. We both have Advance Directives and all our finances are done through our bank, which is in both names. I'm always happy to hear you are out there taking on new challenges, FG. I so enjoy your blog and look forward to reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice!! I used to do everything years ago and then Ken did, now I'm back to learning it all again and this time we both will!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the second person that has mentioned this...the other one being my brother. And I have a list of things, I just need to update it....and need to give a copy to both our girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have started to share the banking info but we have lots more to do. Thanks for the nudge, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound advice indeed. I used to be kind of the head honcho at one time until I began making too many mistakes then Kelly fired me and took over. She gives me a few dollars for coffee now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    It is good advice. It is best to be prepared, having all the documents in an area known to your family. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Death Book that i put everything in, redid will.. but power of attorney is a good thing to have done, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should probably do power of attorney too...I do have a book that has everything in...I should update it more often than I do. Thanks for the reminder! Good Luck with your miles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great advice, as a former accountant I highly recommend that both partners have a good handle on the family finances.

    As a single person, I have a document I call "if I were to die today". I update every month which may sound a bit much but I want to ensure it is up to date. It provides all the necessary information for my adult children to handle the final bills, where to find my will, and various passwords they'll need. They are both aware of the document and both have the password to my computer. Hopefully it will be awhile before they need to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome reminder!! the hubs and i are pretty intertwined, and if you ever saw his accumulation of passwords, you would die. but, he has them all written down and that is good. this made me wonder about other things, we own a lot of property. as far as banking goes, he would be in trouble, i handle everything!! he and i need to talk!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you need to increase your credit score?
    Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
    Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
    Do you need any information concerning any database.
    Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
    Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
    Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
    you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
    contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete