Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Challenges, Development, Garlic and Day Lilies!

 As you'll realize from my lack of daily posting, we've had a few busy days.  So I thought I'd give you a report on what we've been up to.

Challenges - I've compiled all my mileage and donations for the local hospital's 5K Run, and I'm very pleased with myself.  I did my 'official' 5k one day in early Sept., and timed it in 38 minutes.  I then kept accumulating kilometers to a total of 53.1 over 19 days.  It sure does serve as motivation to get out there!

The donation side is even more positive, and after all, that's what it's all about.  By challenging my coffee buddies I pushed the total to $530.00.  PLUS there was one mysterious anonymous donation of $80.00!  Who knows?  And our friends at Achy Back Acres who read my blog regularly, insisted on giving me $10.00.  Pushed it all to $620.00!!  I hand in the results Thrusday.

And for my much longer goal of riding the distance of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage in Spain, I've just passed 150 km.  That's a MUCH longer term goal - maybe two years from now if I'm lucky and dedicated.

Development - You know the view out of our house over the local golf course, which we really love.  Last week we received notice of the first development that we fear will eventually replace much of the course.  It's a street of single family homes closer to the far end of the course than here, but we'll certainly be able to see it.  And yesterday there were two surveyors working away on the unused fairway right behind our house.  Who knows what the future will bring.

Garlic - But today we had a friend who lives on a farm visit, bearing gifts.  She brought us a wonderful basket of garlic, enough to keep us for the entire year.  She also brought beets and peppers!  What wonderful gifts!  And Maria already has some garlic, so now we have enough to give away!

Day Lilies - Other friends had offered some day lilies for us.  The email showed pictures of the 6 labelled varieties; they're much more serious day lily growers than are we.  And following that other friends emailed with more pictures of other day lily varieties.  Again the emails went back and forth, as we certainly couldn't take all of them.

So this afternoon we were out the door to collect these very welcome offers.  We did pay for them, directing the money toward the church sale that's coming up.  But these prices are far lower than commercial prices!  Now Mrs. F.G. has a few days of final preparations and decisions as these get planted, all perhaps the most exciting stage for a gardener.

Luckily we are just in the phase of expanding our garden after putting in the patio.  There is lots of room for new plants, its just a question of where they would like to go.

So that is how our life unfolded last week and this.










11 comments:

  1. This is the time to plant garlic. You harvest next July. I plant them tucked into the corners of the flower bed with the flowers. Now Im going to town to find some dead zinnias in the city flower beds for seeds for next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the completing the challenge and all the money you raised!

    Too bad about the housing development coming in.

    I'm sure Mrs FG will enjoy getting those lilies planted.

    Happy Fall to you and Mrs FG. 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of news, FG. Well done on the 5k and the fundraising.

    I hope you don’t lose that beautiful setting behind you. Progress isn’t always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might want to consider plantings that will eventually grow large enough to provide you with a visual screen between your place and whatever develops on the golf course. Depending on what plants you used they might furnish some habitat for a few more species of songbirds that frequent yards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some new varieties of Daylilies!! I wish I had room for more plants but it's not possible so I'll enjoy seeing yours when they bloom next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, day lilies are colorful and will pose nicely for photos. Congrats on the 5K Run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your money-raising activities and your steady progress along the Camino. I'm also threatened with building work on the field behind my house though as yet they've had no luck with getting their plans passed - long may that continue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that would be too bad to lose your view out the back. I think I would frantically be planting cedar trees and have plans for an eight foot fence on the drawing board to enable a private little backyard eco system. You have done well with your fund raising project. Always a good thing to have a goal in one's future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you need to increase your credit score?
    Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
    Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
    Do you need any information concerning any database.
    Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
    Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
    Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
    you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
    contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good fresh garlic and iris for Mrs. FG joy.

    ReplyDelete