Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Jones Falls

I had heard that there was a new Bruce Trail side trail that led to the base of Jones Falls.  That sounded worth exploring to me, because the view of the falls is otherwise very limited.  So we headed up to Owen Sound and walked the short distance on the trail across the Nottawasaga River, looking for the new side trail.

This is the view of the falls you end up getting; you really are at the base of the falls.  I see lots of new opportunities for good waterfall pictures here.

It's actually called the Memorial Forest Side Trail, and extends some distance along the base of the cliff.  We only walked the short distance from the top of the cliff down to the falls.

Helpfully, there's a perfect crevice for a trail - about 3-4 feet wide, and extending right down the main cliff to the valley below.


This is the usual view of Jones Falls, taken from out on the highway, in the spring when water was high. You only see it through a lot of vegetation.

In contrast, this is the view you get from going down the new trail - admittedly at a time of much lower water flow.  But picture this view in the spring with the water flow in the picture above!

Of course I played around with some falling water pictures; these ones were shot at 1/400 and 1/800, with the ISO cranked all the way up to 6400, trying to 'stop' the water.

Then I got out my tripod, which I had deliberately brought on this walk, and tried some 'slow' waterfall pictures, the ISO dropped down to the minimum 100, and the exposure from 1/2 sec. to a full 2 sec.  I could have stayed there and taken many more pictures!

It was great to find this new easy trail to the perfect viewpoint for this falls.  And I was also reminded that waterfalls change enormously over the season as the water flow rises and falls.  It's been a dry fall here this year.  I will be back to this place more than once in the future!

****

Off on another adventure for a bit; posts may be short, sweet or missing depending on internet access and my time over the next week!  Pictures to come.

14 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures, as usual. I especially like the feeling of the last picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By golly that's a beautiful waterfall -- from the photos it's obviously beautiful in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the soft water fall pics. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really good signage. We are lucky to get a handmade sign if anything. We use the GPS to track our rides so we can use them to get home safe and also return to favourite spots. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful waterfall! I love the terraced rock cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous views of the waterfall! Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!:) Flowing water is fascinating, especially in a water fall, and you got some great images. I like the full on, and slowed down captures, they are all beautiful. The walk through the crevice must be a fab experience, and I'm pleased for you that you found a new trail to get to the falls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richness in waterfalls in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful...i "would" have stayed all day, there is something about falling water. i'm sure you will go back!!

    have fun on your adventure and happy thanksgiving, if you celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome waterfall pictures, what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful falls photos! I like the ravine to get to it too. The falls must be awesome with the spring runoff. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like the kind of hike I would enjoy as well. Rocks and waterfalls always make for some great photos. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty waterfall! I'm surprised it's taken authorities so long to gain better access. Love the "soft" water photos. I'll bet a lot of photographers are planning a trip back in the springtime!

    ReplyDelete