Monday, April 1, 2024

Sandhill Cranes!

We decided to attend one of the spring lectures at the Grey Roots Museum in Owen Sound last week.  The lecture was good, and we met several old friends, so we're glad we took the trouble to go.  It's so easy to just hibernate!  And we drove the back roads so it was our first opportunity to watch for Sandhill Cranes this year - and we saw a few!

As you can see, the cranes were at quite a distance, on the far side of the field.  Can you spot them?  I don't know how Mrs. F.G. can pick them out, but we pulled to the side of the road and I did get one closer picture.

Sandhill Cranes were hunted almost to extinction in Ontario in the late 19th century, but populations have been growing for 50 years now.  Some would say populations are exploding now!  I never saw them until about 10 years ago.  Now some are arguing for the re-introduction of a controlled hunt, at least in northern Ontario.

The creeks are running high, even after the minimal snowpack we got this winter.  This is a spot I'd love to put the canoe in, but I'm too late now.



 

12 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to see the birds returning . Spring is definitely working its way back.
    I'm not sure how long it has been since I've seen sandhill cranes (nor will I tell you. :p) We did see them in the fall occasionally when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about sandhill cranes recently on another blog and I thought of you, FG. You introduced me to those beauties. Glad you found them already this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see the snow is going away for you at last. Always nice to see the cranes. Gord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to get out and about.
    Nice to see the Sandhill Cranes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Mrs. FG for her eagle eye. H also has an eagle eye, she often spots critters when we're out for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't seem to have a lot of Cranes here in our area but I have heard them overhead a couple times this Spring heading somewhere. Probably up to your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see that the snow is disappearing....and the Sandhill Cranes are reappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see them, but it's no wonder that they stay in the distance if they were nearly hunted to extinction in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were close enough to capture that crane! Thanks for sharing those beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your sandhill cranes are back. We don’t have them here in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete