Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Rabbit!

We have a wascally wabbit that frequents our garden, eating from the lush banquet of flowers Mrs. F.G. provides.  She is constantly banging doors or slapping the window to scare it away.  Sometimes she heads out the door and chases it away!  Of course if we ever did chase it away, others would just pop up to take its place. 

I had discovered this interesting plant that emerged overnight a couple of days ago.  I didn't recognize it immediately but wondered if it would be a Grape Hyacinth when it opened, but the leaf doesn't seem to fit.  I thought it would be interesting to follow with a series of pictures and find out what it is.

Unfortunately, my first look the next morning showed that it had been nipped right off.  Now I'll never know what it is, and I think I spotted the culprit!

Yes, there was our resident rabbit, calmly taking a break between nibbling on some Crocus leaves.  It doesn't do catastrophic damage, but every now and then it eats something we'd rather it didn't.  It's been living under the ramp off the deck.

A friend at church offered to bring over his shotgun, but I think that was a joke!  The best idea I've heard for controlling the rascal is to learn to live with it!  Any ideas what that plant is?


11 comments:

  1. hehehehe, no but if you figure it out, let me know. my bunnies live under my deck in the back yard and don't usually roam to the front. too bad for them, i have much better plants in the front than the bac. i have tried feeding the lettuce, they enjoy it but are never "full" enough to leave my flowers alone. the flower sure did look like a grape hyacinth, but as you said, not the leaf!! it may have been a transplanted hyacinth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that it might be a hyacinth too. We have the same issues with the squirrels on our roof deck. They love to eat the tomatoes and other veggies and dig around throwing other things out. Nothing seems to scare them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it might be a hyacinth, but it looks like some of the other leaves have been bitten off. However it was very pretty for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be a Siberian Squill. That's what iPhoto suggested.
    I hear you about the bunnies. We've two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That nibbler was the culprit by the look of it.

    We went to Cavendish early this morning and there were lots of hares out enjoying the beautiful spring day. I wouldn’t want them in the garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most often I see bunnies are running along the side of the road on my way to town. I ran over one so he won't be nibbling in anyones garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting mystery flower. Too bad the rabbit ate it and now we'll never know what it would have looked like fully opened. Maybe it was a grape hyacinth on steroids?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hit the I (info) below the pic on your iPhone, it may identify the plant. If you have an Android, surely it has a similar capability.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No idea what it was, but I hope it was tasty! I'll watch here for a few days to see if anybody identifies it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have assumed it was a hyacinth as well, but can't be certain as I've never grown them. I guess we can assuredly say that it is tasty as it appears Mr. Bunny has made short work of it.

    I had a spirea in the front flower bed at the old house and it never grew to its full height. In the spring the rabbit/hare would nibble it down to nearly ground level. It would grow to about 2-3 feet in the summer. I always thought of it as the first food the bunnies found in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the 'learning to live with it' idea. We have 3 Rabbits here but we don't have all the nice flowers you do so it's not to distracting. In fact, I put corn out for the bunnies and a few raw vegitables when I can sneek them past the boss.

    ReplyDelete