Friday, January 12, 2024

Winter #4 - Roaming Around

In those enjoyable days  before I be came paralyzed, I was wont to explore the countryside, driving around in search of interesting pictures.  So these selections are helter-skelter from Thornbury to Sauble to Bowles Hill in the valley.  Hope you enjoy them.

This is Georgian Bay, taken from the mouth of the Beaver River in Thornbury harbour.

But my usual view was  just the road in front of me, I drove a lot of them.  this is actually the backside of the concession block where we lived.

There were a lot of former one-room schoolhouses on those roads.  I can remember at least a dozen of them, all now converted to rural homes, but this is the nicest of them.

Very close to that old schoolhouse is this new bridge over the Beaver, down in the swamp.  I was used to the old bridge, but when it was assessed as unsafe, the road was closed for ages while a new bridge was built off-site.  Caused a lot of driving around to get here, for this is a popular put-in place for canoeing.  The new bridge was lifted into place all in one piece by a truck that backed down a mile of gravel road from the west, and large crane that arrived from the east.  I would have enjoyed seeing it!

We're in the middle of several interesting rivers that flow into Georgian Bay or Lake Huron - the Beaver, the Bighead, the Sydenham, the Saugeen and the Sauble.  I've canoed bits of all of them.  This is the Sauble, which we came across when we ventured further afield to do some cross-country skiing o n the Sauble Trails.

Closer to home this is the Beaver Valley, taken from the top of the old Talisman ski runs, about two miles from our home in the valley - and the place where I learned to ski as a teenager!

One of my favourite things to photograph was barns, and this was one of my favourite barns - more because of the setting than the barn itself, but those red doors do stand out.  Taken when driving down Bowles Hill.

And finally another barn shot, though there were too many trees in front to ever get a totally clear view.  I did think this window through the trees was effective photographically though.  And there you have it, some of my wandering around winter shots.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of beautiful country. Well done sir !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're sharing again some beautiful shots! They are well appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old revised schoolhouses too. Better than seeing them go to ruins. This one has a lovely cedar rail fence too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful winter scenes! Any snow we get now is punctuated with rain. Those scenes are missing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the school house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and great memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful winter scenes. I love them all, although right now I'm just trying to stay warm inside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all lovely photos, and the first one almost looked like a painting. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can be proud of these photos. Thanks for sharing these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a sucker for blue-sky snow photos. You have a great collection here!

    ReplyDelete