Monday, January 8, 2024

Winter #2 - Walking the Dog

Let me take you on my usual walk with the dog in those winter days, first down the road, turn right uphill a bit, turn left and down to the cul-de-sac.  Then we head into the woods.

The snowshoe choice is dependent on conditions, and I carry them until we're in the cul-de-sac and climbing over the 6 foot snowbank.

We're always walking our dog Roxie, now in doggie heaven.  She absolutely loved the snow, and in the woods I could let her off her leash to run.

I considered these two big trees the 'gate' to the woods.  It's just an old tractor trail we're following.

Sometimes those trees would be coated with snow all the way up.

After that, in the right conditions it was just a winter wonderland.

Low down, snow sat on the dogwood branches.

Now and then there were young American Beech saplings holding on to their light brown leaves.

We could continue for some distance on this tractor trail, and I got to know every corner.

I'll finish this walk with a perspective on trees and sky.


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful snowy woods photos. Many thanks for taking that walk to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxie was a pretty dog! It always amazes me how much dogs enjoy the snow. I'd think their bare feet would get cold.
    The photos are lovely. The ones with the blue sky/sun shine are my kind of winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos of great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any dog I have had loved the snow too. I have great memories of winter walks with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have good memories there. I also have good memories of snowshoeing. At least I have them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! There is a face in the snow on that tree trunk. Your last picture is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of Roxie in the snow. My dog Sammy loved the snow like that too.
    I've tried walking in snow shoes one time and just couldn't get the hang of it. I did a lot of laughing though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roxie, a loving memory, and the snow on those branches, again, I relish every photo you post with snow. 32C here in the verandah !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowy forest brought back memories for me of cross country skiing at the Wildwood Conservation Area near St. Marys Ontario. I particularly liked your snowy day photo of Roxie. Dogs are just the creatist companions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful snowy photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful winter wonderland in your photos. I'm not sure I'll ever need snowshoes again although I always like using them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very beautiful. I do hope there is snow in Doggy Heaven. Sure looks like Roxie loved it!

    ReplyDelete