Wednesday, October 4, 2023

New England Asters

My favourite flower of fall is the New England Aster.  A rich purple, it's the last major wildflower to bloom in the fall, and it's always been quite prolific along roadsides, fencerows and ditches.  As you may recall, I was afraid it had disappeared this year, but I just had my timing off, because I've now found plenty of it.

I first found a bunch in the wildflower strip that a woman has allowed to grow where an old sidewalk was, and in the adjoining ditch.  Now a beautiful place for summer wildflowers.

You can see it's got the typical aster flower, numerous rays surrounding a bright yellow centre of stamens and pistils.

A few days later I spotted this big patch bordering the side of a driveway.  I slipped in and grabbed a few photos.

I always think that a close-up of this flower looks most striking.

I've since found it in three other places, including right at the end of our own street, not far from our mailboxes.  So I'm reassured that it's as plentiful this year as it has been in the past.



12 comments:

  1. Sure glad you found them. Beautiful color!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, such a wonderful colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm jealous...ours are just puny little tiny flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are quite beautiful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are very pretty and magenta-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are spectacular flowers even if they leave it a bit late in the year to show off their colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! What a lovely show this late in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wild asters this time of year are spectacular along the trailways and roadsides. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have such a pretty color. I have not seen any around here but I live in town with few gardens. Maybe I’ll find some at the flower shop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure like the looks of those New England Asters. I don't know if we have them around here but maybe I have seen them and never knew what they were. Now, I at least have an idea what to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's one of my favorites also. Here most are a shade of blue, from pale to quite dark -- but some are actually pink with a touch of blue so they could probably be called a shade of pale purple.

    ReplyDelete