Saturday, October 14, 2023

Fall Colour Begins

We're actually past what is usually the peak of fall colour, and fall is looking very confused.  A few trees are showing the expected colour, but very few to my mind; many trees are still green.  Today I rode down to the harbour and only counted four trees that were both colourful enough and close enough for me to get good pictures.  But it has started, so I'll have more pictures over the next few posts. 

This was the first of the two big trees out back to turn colourful, but it stood alone for some time.

The other big maple of the two of them has finally begun turning red now.

And then there's a patch of yellow leaves at the base of the first of the pair.

Around a few blocks there's this big maple which I look for every year, looking beautiful as usual.

And then there's a Norway Maple across the street, with its more yellow leaves.

And around by the hospital there's another Norway Maple that I watch for every year.  It's close enough that I can get a few good shots of leaves - that will be the next post.

You may notice that the colour looks a little distorted in some of the photos above, particularly the 3rd, 5th and 6th photos.  The simple program I use for editing (usually just cropping) has been enhanced, so I tried 'colour saturation', but as you can see, you have to be very careful with this.  The mental rule I use for doing this is to try and capture the photos as I saw things outdoors, but by the time I got the leaves right, the sky was off.  You'll just have to be patient with me while I learn this!




13 comments:

  1. I think those trees are gorgeous and very beautiful colors. I look forward to seeing more as the season progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The maple trees always have the most vivid colors. Such a beautiful time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're nearing the end of the color here. The first tree on the block, just to the east of me, is already bare. My trees are losing their leaves quite rapidly, while the large tree (not sure the variety, but I'm thinking it is an elm, has turned color and I notice the leaves are falling today. It's usually the last to turn and the last to lose all of it's leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with that. I don't think the colours are as great this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful trees, ours are just beginning to turn and many of them are dropping their leaves. FastStone is currently my favorite photo editing software; it can be downloaded for free, allows for quite a bit of editing and isn't too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you hadn't told me about the color, I would never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The main thing is the autumn colour, and it looks good. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall, the colours around here seem somewhat muted this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are beautiful. Our trees are already fading and many leaves are on the ground leaving half naked trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, our Autumn is definitely behind schedule compared to other years. But that's okay if we can extend the Fall and then have an early Spring with which to greatly reduce winter's time span. I have those same photo problems with density and saturation as well. And, like you, I try to keep my photos looking as natural as possible except if I am trying to be a little bit creative with something. Of course, on these cloudy days, a little saturation to bring out the colors is always a help for Mother Nature's canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful. A challenge with the editing is a great project! You will overcome I’ve no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a beautiful time of year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete