Monday, June 26, 2023

Summer Wildflowers Have Started!

I know most of you call them 'weeds', but I call them summer wildflowers.  The spring wildflowers that we love grow in the woods, taking advantage of the ephemeral light in early spring to bloom.  Summer wildflowers  bloom in the bright sun of summer, often growing on poor soil but flourishing never-the-less.

Buttercups are one of the first, flashing their bright yellow colour from the ditches and unused fields.

Our own lawn and many others have at least some growth of White Clover.  Some try to get rid of it, but I think it's good for a lawn because it can withstand drought better than many grasses and stay green.

Miniature Daisies pop up in a few patches of lawn where I ride and I find them particularly welcoming, one of the first of these summer wildflowers to bloom.

This Daisy Fleabane has very fine petals compared to other daisies, and ranges from pinkish to white as you can see.

Finally Field Bindweed is a troublesome 'weed', an invasive plant that will spread quickly through a lawn or garden.  It's about impossible to get rid of, as roots break off and can grow into new plants.  One of the few that deserve the name 'weed'!



12 comments:

  1. Oh I'm with you on this - wild flowers they are and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all lovely to look at but not welcome in most of our gardens. Especially Bindweed which is so persistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have buttercups and hawkweed in the side field. In front we have white clover. One year we were infested with Japanese beetle grubs and the lawn was like a sand pit. We overseeded in white clover which really made for a healthy patch. Bindweed makes me crazy. I'm constantly pulling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll agree with you about the bindweed. My mother's garden, which I used to look after for her, was plagued with it and it had grown into the roots of her rose bushes, so no way to get rid of it. All the others I love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for pointing out the beauties of these flowers that grow in disturbed areas and bring color to otherwise bland spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to call most of them wildflowers. They just usually need to be kept out of gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now I know the names of these wildflowers I have been seeing in my daily travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt sure I'd commented on this post ... maybe it's gone into spam folder?!
    I do like your summer wildflowers, they are so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we didn't have these wildflowers, fields and yards would be very dull in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like the weeds that just won't go away. You have a good collection of wild blooms.

    ReplyDelete