Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Down to the Harbour

For the first time this year I got down to the harbour, going as far as the little gravel beach I usually visit two or three times a year.  I always enjoy the never-ending changes in the boats down there, and it was a bright sunny day, although we're getting some pretty hazy skies and a smell of smoke from the distant wildfires.

I arrive at the edge of the inner harbour, the battered hull of the fishing tug W.H.Wheeler beside me.

This is that fishing tug - note the battered hull.

Further down at the marina docks was this very big motorboat, or small yacht, pretty fancy if you ask me.

And nearby a (relatively) small boat waiting in the lift sling, more my speed.

Lots of big sailboats still up on their stocks, waiting for either attention or a lift into the water.

Then I ride down the road all the way to the little beach, passing a few birch trees on the way.

Passing a few very nice homes with a view out over the water too!

No-one was at the beach; it's a school day and pretty cool too.

On my way home, at the opposite end of the harbour, I passed the 'blue box' (Harbourside Condominiums), where they are replacing all the balconies!  I've never heard of this on a building this size, but we know a couple who lives there, so we got the scoop.  At this stage all the balconies have been removed and they are ready to install new ones.  What an expense!


18 comments:

  1. The red chair at the side, a super setting for that photo !!! Is that the rule of thirds?? The smoke, I read on other friend's blogs that it is spreading so far, hope the rain comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this trek around beach-side. Bark on that tree is such a great texture. Glad the condos will have safer balconies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love sailboats myself, they are so "graceful"!! the stone home with a view is gorgeous and i like the blue box. i wonder if they had an incident which prompted the repair to the railings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice to travel with you to this place, and to see all the goings-on in the area. I also wonder what triggered the balcony replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. W H Wheeler looks to have had a rough life! I particularly like your photos of the birch tree and the red chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely adventure! I would love to be bear a harbour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a condo unit near my home that is undergoing a similar renovation. It's been on-going for the past couple of years as I recall. I'd be some annoyed, if I lived there, not being able to use the outdoor space.
    Your visit to the harbour was lovely (and quiet). My favorite photo isn't one of the boats, but the inviting red chair looking out at the water. That's my idea of heaven on earth,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to see some harbor shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fishing tug certainly is somewhat battered. I remember when the balcony on a building collapsed and killed one or two people who were on it at the time -- better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both my daughter in Toronto and sister in Peterborough have had the balconys replaced on their condos. I wonder if they are all owned by the same company?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wildfires near Harrison are making our skies hazy and breathing uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forget how much money some people have but then I see the boats and I realize that I live in a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely selection of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a lovely wander, FG. The boats always deserve a look. Quite a difference between the tug and the recreational vessels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy your harbor visits. I saw a boat lift like that when I visited California. I had forgotten what they looked like and how they work. They must have changed the regulations on safety with the balconies. We have wooden decks that keep falling with people on them and I don't think they regulate them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That fishing boat looks like it has gone head to head with a lot of hard headed fish. Like you, I too have not been out visiting a few of my favorites spots as much as I once did. (Hullett Marsh)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your picture choices are always unique. Thanks for the harbor tour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The picture of the red chair is very inviting. I want to go sit there.

    ReplyDelete