Sunday, June 11, 2023

It's Peony Season!

It's Peony season here in the garden, with several of our plants now in bloom and the rest opening up.  These are all only three years old, ordered by mail and doing very well.  You'll notice that these are all 'single' blooms rather than the showier 'double' blooms favoured by many.  Single sets of petals leave the centre open for the bees to access.

They vary mainly in colour from light pink to deep red.  You can guess which ones I like!

You can see the central pistils and the numerous outer stamens on each of these blooms.

This diagram, from the website 'Grapes', a national website for viticulture, is the best I've found
 for labelling the parts of a flower.  I'm, always getting confused over anthers, stigmas and the rest of it.  
I think just remembering pistils and stamens is the easiest.

I love the Pinks which are blooming at the same time, and are always such bright colours.  More to come.



11 comments:

  1. The peonies are a few weeks ahead of ours. So pretty. They are always worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a few peonies but there is too much shade for them to grow well. You are fortunate with all your colorful flowers to have an abundance of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the big showy peonies. Ours are almost finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peonies, much sought blooms here, and SO expensive at the florist shops.Even a bulb can be NZ $25, and stems from $2 or much more for the double variety.Love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the scent of the Pinks

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is cool to know about the single petals and bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What incredible beauty! And thanks for the diagram that shows how it all works in nature. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine have just started! Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My peony has a single solitary bud on it, that is so tiny, I'm not certain it will ever bloom. I'll be thrilled if it does. Your peonies are simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colour of those Pinks. You have taken me back to old botany courses with that diagram.
    I thought of you when I posted the ravine near Casa Loma. The city has maintained the trail through it quite well and it is so quiet down there.

    ReplyDelete