Sunday, June 4, 2023

Around the Neighbourhood

A couple of days ago I took a short ride just down a neighbouring street.  Still lots I could find to observe, from dandelions to lilacs.  I particularly like the dandelion seed heads.

There's something about a dandelion gone to see that just attracts me, besides the promise of lots of flowers next spring.

This is the time of year when the purple, mauve and white flowers of Dame's Rocket appear in the more natural corners, here down the slope of the little stream valley at the end of our street.

It's often confused with Phlox which looks similar from a distance, but Phlox has five petals, this one has four which you can see clearly here..

A beautiful clump of Iris on the next block.

And further along the street a Lilac still in bloom.

Then I know a favourite spot where the bright yellow Buttercups lift their blossoms to the sun.

Finally, a variegated willow, nicely pruned.  There are always things to see if I slow down and look!



15 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree more with your last statement. Every day has new sights and sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots. The lilac is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this lovely selection of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need to slow down and look. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad that you can get around what seems to be such a nice neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, slowing down is definitely the secret alright. Always so much more to see and appreciate when one can get oneself to slow down and observe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One o'clock, two o'clock . and so on, I did love blowing on those fluffy seed heads. ( When I was a child,!!! ) And Bearded Iris, mine must have their memory out of kilter as some are flowing right now at the almost start of our winter. Lovely colours in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit I much prefer Dame's Rocket to Dandelions. Buttercups are very cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with Nancy, I prefer the Dame's Rocket to the dandelions, but you captured them all very well. Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos of the various flowers and trees. I have to agree with others, that I'd prefer many of them to the dandelions as those seed heads contain soooo many potential dandelions. I think they'd take over the world, if we let them.
    And yes, slowing down is a good idea for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed, there's always something to see. This world would be in better condition if only more people would stop and look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many petty flowers. We have loads of Dames Rocket along the roadside!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dames Rocket will be blooming here soon. We are a bit later than you! Your Iris are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many pretty purples, many of ours are long gone!! i like the dandelion seed heads too, i hope you made a wish!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing these flowers.

    ReplyDelete