Monday, May 11, 2020

Exploring!

There was a day in the distant past I think, when it was sunny and at least a little warmish, sometime in an earlier world like last week, before our return bout with winter,, when I could get out for a longer explore in my chair, keeping a very careful eye on the battery all the way.  It was certainly a lot warmer than today!

This is my regular summer ride, Nelson Street West, just around a few short blocks.  Ride to the end and back and it's longer than riding downtown.  Lots of variety in trees and houses, and a few wild corners, so lots to see.

This street is on the edge of town, and has obviously been built up slowly, with a wide variety of homes, large and small, new and old, on a wide variety of properties, also large and small.  This family is anxious to get their Canada Day flags up early!

The homes include at least four that appear to be old farmhouses, this one hidden behind a massively branched big old Sugar Maple, and very typical in architecture of houses built 100 years ago.

I was surprised to see under the shade of the big old maple, a larger patch of May Apple (in the background) and a few Bloodroot leaves (in the foreground), flowers long gone.

Two different homes have an old tractor parked outside, looking like they haven't moved in a decade or two.  Collectors items by now!

The occupants of one house enjoy decorating their front yard with an interesting assortment of hand-me-down bric-a-brac  that changes regularly.  There are a number of those signs popping up around town; a volunteer comes and places it for you if you give a donation to the local hospital.  We have one on our yard.

They have a new Great Blue Heron sculpture beside their welcome sign.  I enjoy checking it out to see what's been added recently, though I'm not sure what the neighbours think of it.

It is a nice-looking day outside, even if it's still cold enough!  I may try to get out for another explore after lunch.  Have a great week.


17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to a warm up as the week progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a pleasant jaunt around your neighbourhood. Glad to hear that the wheelchair is behaving itself now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is still raining down here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That heron sculpture is impressive, I'm afraid the rest of their decorations would make me rather unhappy if I was their neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you are out and about in the sunshine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heron, then the ladder, and signs to show the support. I like them all...I truly do not know how the workers keep on, the long hours, restrictive gear they have to wear, the protocol when taking it all off, and the tragedies daily. Well done to explore and may that battery keep on behaving as good as gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to see on your route. I like that heron. I saw a similar one at the garden centre last year, I should have bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it sure has been a disappointingly cold Spring so far this year. We had all better be keeping our winter duds close at hand. Not sure I know how you resolved that 'power drainage' problem with your chair. I too like that big old metal Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun for the family that puts out the decorations. And fun for folks that get to enjoy the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that Great Blue Heron...I would find their yard interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have seen Mayapple yet this spring, and it may be that I simply have not been observant , but I will look for it tomorrow. Mind you, had I looked this morning it may have been hidden under snow! The weather trend seems to be for gradual warming, and I hope that we are now done with this overhang from winter. We had a Rose-breasted Grosbeak on our feeders this afternoon, and you have to wonder whether continued cold weather starts to affect their breeding season. As for the bric-a-brac in the garden there is a line between creativity and junk, and that would extend to old tractors slowly sinking into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's been very cold again in this neck of the woods. i am always happy to hear that you are out and about, with "fun" things to see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soon, F.G., like possibly Thursday you will be out on that route again. it is nice and I'm sure fun for the family to put out the display of support for workers. I think you might be glad it isn't your neighbour though! Woops, that was my outside voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great assortment of photos!
    As I as scrolled down I thought, 'oh I like this one,' then looking at the next one, 'another good one!' and so on it went to the last one, my favorite of all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a good adventure. I like that the tree and house probably are close to the same age. You have some good place to visit and it will change as the spring turns into summer.

    ReplyDelete