Sunday, February 11, 2018

Lichens on the Tombstones

Last week I showed you a few of the lichens I've seen on trees at the cemetery.  How about the tombstones?  Actually very few of them have any lichens at all, but on a few there are some quite neat orange lichens.  Obviously the type of stone used makes a difference.

These are three of very few tombstones that I've seen lichens on.  Come summer I'm going to have to have a closer look at the differences.

Here's a small patch at the base of one monument.

And have a closer look - remarkable pattern!

Another two patches on another monument.  All of the lichens on gravestones seem to be bright orange.  After Woody, of 'In Forest and Field' suggested it, I found I did have on my shelf the Lichens of the North Woods by Joe Walewski.  And I think I've successfully identified these lichens as the 'Elegant Sunburst Lichen' Xanthoria elegans.  Thanks for reminding me Woody!

In contrast, this is another of lichens on a Sugar Maple, just so you remember the difference.

Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. They make their own symbols within the green mossy look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting information Stew , I always just thought it was moss of adsiffenert colour thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to know more about Lichens, foliose and fructose or something like that...Botany back in college. I like lichens and you have found some beauties:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. more beauty from the cemetery, nice captures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the orange growths could be a green alga called Trentepohlia aurea, which grows on calcareous tombstones like limestone or marble. Although it's a green alga, it has a chemical that masks the green chlorophyll. Lots of cool growths on those stones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos of those colorful lichens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have lots of that in Florida. They are like their own miniature forests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I now have a couple of lichen books, but they don't help much. There are too many different stages of each kind, I fear. I need a whole class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Picture 6 reminds me of a lion! I love lichen. It's so tiny and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sphere on the first stone is rather unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of them are quite pretty.
    I don't think I've seen any on the gravestones in the cemeteries I walk around. I'll look tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting information Stew , I always just thought it was moss of adsiffenert colour thanks for the education.

    เว็บไซต์ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete