Sunday, November 2, 2014

Indian Falls

After that interruption to appreciate our snow, I wanted to take you to see Indian Falls.  Located just at the northwest corner of Owen Sound, I think it's one of the less appreciated waterfalls around here, but very beautiful nonetheless.

It's a straight drop about 30' down into the water below, and it's about 30' wide too.

You get there by following a nondescript trail along the banks of the Indian River from 3rd Ave. West or Grey Rd. 1, just south of Balmy Beach.

Halfway or more along the trail, it rises through the woods, past plentiful young beech trees still holding their yellow leaves, to a high level, the top of the geological formation the water falls over.

From here in spots you can look down and see the river, and the geological layers it's carving a ravine through, on the far side.

Before long you come out at the falls itself, plunging directly over those geological layers.

It's certainly a pretty waterfalls, but it's the geology that fascinates me, for this is a classic example of a waterfalls over the two lower layers of the Niagara Escarpment, the Manitoulin Limestone (the dark grey upper half) and the Queenston Shale (the two bluish and red lower layers).  Several waterfalls in the valley fall over exactly the same formations, though none of them show it off as nicely as here.

Looking down the gorge you see these layers very easily.  The hard gray upper layer of limestone is very slow to erode, and forms the waterfall, while the lower blue and red layers are soft and erode easily, leaving pieces of limestone above undercut and ready to fall into the river below.  10,000 years after the glacier, and you've got yourself a nice vertical waterfalls and gorge below.

I leave you with a final softer view of the falls.  I'll be taking a blogging break for a week ... or two ... or three while I have some lil' ol' heart surgery.  Wish me well in your prayers.


21 comments:

  1. Wow, the waterfalls is beautiful. And I love the layer of colors on the gorge! The Autumn trees are beautiful too. Gorgeous post and photos. I will keep you in my prayers, I hope you have a quick recovery from your surgery..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure do live among some natural wonders. Those geologic layers are fascinating as well as beautiful, and the waterfall is gorgeous. Hold those images in your heart. Joy is a healing emotion. May all be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That waterfall is in a very pretty spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very special place. Wishing you a speedy recovery: we'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the falls are gorgeous. Best of everything in your surgery. My husband had open heart surgery in 2009 to repair the mitral valve - and he is going strong and healthier than ever. We'll surely miss your photos while you are gone - hurry back - but do rest and do what the doctor says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the surgery goes well for you and you'll be back in fine form quickly. A beautiful waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all goes well with your surgery and that you make a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. I have to explore this corner of the province a little more. Best of luck with your surgery, Stew. I am not given to prayers but I'll be rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All good wishes and caring thoughts for the surgery, those gorgeous photos will cheer you on every day, and today's geology lesson is so appreciated. I have always wondered, down here, at different colours in the rock layers, maybe something similar to yours. Wishing for a good recovery and health to be 100% again . Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May the healing touch of the Creator be in the hands and instruments of all who minister to you during your surgery prep, surgery and recovery. Looking forward to lots more of your wonderful photos of your valley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous waterfall.... I love that area ---and even loved the area where the young Beech trees are still holding their leaves. Gorgeous.

    Did you hear that we had a freak snowstorm here in TN over the weekend? The higher elevations of the Smokies had as much as 22 inches.... Crazy --since we NEVER get snow and cold temps THIS early.... I'll blog about it tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful waterfall!
    Best wishes on your healing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The falls are gorgeous and I love the autumn colours. I wish you a quick recovery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place. I miss living in a place with rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. all those views and images are just so beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful waterfall - and photos.

    Wishing you well with your surgery - I had a double bypass 18 years ago. Felt really whipped afterward, but within four weeks I was walking two miles without any problems and have been doing three to six miles a day ever since. Also got as much fat out of my diet as I could. Have felt great for years now -- hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice shots of Indian Falls. I haven't been there this year. Maybe next year when my husband is walking better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow those falls are beautiful. I can almost hear the water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very intrigues by your waterfall... all ready calculating it is closer than the trek I made to Algonquin this fall! I would love to photograph it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Muy interesante esa catarata, sobre todo las capas geológicas que ha dejado al descubierto.
    Le deseo que vaya todo bien, y que tenga una pronta recuperación de su dolencia.
    Un cordial saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sending some prayers from Minnesota for a speedy recovery. Your water falls a re beautiful. We are on our 4th snow..oh well:(

    ReplyDelete