Wednesday, November 19, 2014

After the Storm!

We woke to about a foot of fresh snow from yesterday's storm, and a world that's been transformed to white.  Real winter has arrived.

Since I'm not supposed to be doing a lot of snow-blowing yet,  I called our local farmer friend, and he was here by 8 a.m. - cleared the driveway in about 6 minutes!

The usual winter boots wouldn't do in this snow, so out came the old mukluks,  good enough for the foot deep snow without getting snow down your sox!

The dog and I wandered the yard and I snapped a few pix.  It's a challenge to keep a garden looking interesting in the winter, but this short bit of fence I built provides a really nice background all year.

This is a large rusted steel flower sculpture in summer, with a dense Clematis vine now entangled around it.  It now adds an interesting winter feature to the garden as well as all year.

This fence really does divide the 'cultivated' or 'manicured' part of the garden from the work area and shed, and the 'wilderness' of the meadow out behind.  As you can see, the snow was pretty heavy.

Once of our benches nestled among the lilacs, deep in snow.

And these old Coneflower seedheads with their caps of snow really appealed to me, especially when I was able to manoeuvre myself to position them in front of those dark pine trees for a picture.

Recovery continues to go well; hit 10,000 steps a day twice now.  But I'm really enjoying the enforced idleness too.  Normally I"m almost too active, always on the move doing something, and what gets left out is the time to sit and think, and to write.  So I'm sitting daydreaming and finding it very constructive - if only I can translate that into some serious writing!

Linking to:

21 comments:

  1. Oh my - you really got dumped on! Beautiful snowy photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had as much, but it's the sort that'll stay on the ground now. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely coneflower heads, that is a huge dumping, walk carefully, keep warm, pull the neck-warmer up over your nose and mouth, and keep the fire burning. I know this amount can be a huge lot of work, but as we haven't had anything like that EVER in our lives, I'm a little, just a wee tad, envious of those super scenes. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a bit of snow! And those cone flower heads are really a neat photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photos - love the snow sculptures that form in a storm - and love those mukluks. My favorite I think is the coneflower photo. Keep walking - but be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooooo--that is a huge snow... (Speaking of huge snows, did you hear about that enormous snow which has hit the Buffalo, New York area???? Yipes.)... I love snow --and have never EVER seen a snow like yours... I'd love it --IF I didn't have to get out in it --other than to take a walk!!!!!! Beautiful photos... WOW...

    Keep taking care of yourself... You seem to be doing GREAT... AND--you have terrific neighbors.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your snowy shots, especially your last photo. Glad recovery is going well - enjoy the downtime. I know I sure did - I went back to work this week, and it's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that last shot of the snowy caps on the Coneflowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You found some really interesting shots without disobeying "doctor's orders" and straying too far from home. Just as well you didn't need a rest on that bench!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lot of snow! I have yet to look at the news for the morning, but yesterday the whole lake effect snow system was ready to pile even more on things. Glad you are taking care of yourself, and thanks for the great snow pictures. I like that steel "flower" looking very different in the snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take care! Snow is not your friend right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. really great shots around your place! love the fence and the big metal sunflower holding the snow! be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pics of snow ! I am in N. Florida and all we get is frost !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know winter snow has come early for you however it does make for great shots. Really loved the Coneflower snow capped seedheads

    ReplyDelete
  15. You certainly got a good 'dusting' of snow already. It looks beautiful and the fence is perfect for taking some winter photos. I love the snow mounds on the coneflower heads. It's wonderful to have great neighbours to help out at times. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The snow is always so pretty.... as long as I am inside! That is so much for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winter certainly has arrived at your place. Very pretty pictures. Nice to have great neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man you got hit hard. I always feel guilty for whining about the little amount of snow we get when I see stuff like this. - It turned your garden into a winter wonderland for sure. Looks great on that wooden fence line.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your view looks like mine! The valley is definitely an early winter wonderland... my chinese lantern flowers are dusted with snow too -- but I love your frosted coneflowers even more. The fence does actually look more interesting as a snow sculpture! :)

    ReplyDelete