Sunday, August 18, 2024

Historic Old Homes Part 2

This group of homes is of a similar age, but mostly smaller.  Some were built on the edge of town while others show some particular architectural interest.  The older homes near the edge of town can often be identified by architecture like this, symmetrical front windows and often a sharply peaked roof over the centre door. 

This one has that symmetrical pattern, with a sharp peak in the roof over a small window leading to a porch above the front door.  Note the sharp peak in the upper window and the curved lintels below.

This one has the same symmetrical windows across the front, with a door in the centre.  Just a window upstairs with a small roof overhead.  This is one that looks beautiful in the spring when their daffodils bloom.

Further east on the same street is this home, recently renovated, but retaining its historic features - the tiny balcony on the left, and the tiny window under a sharp peak on the right.  However, this has an asymmetrical pattern with larger windows and roofline on the left.

This appears to be an older house, closer to downtown, and it has that asymmetrical facade.  Still has those sharply peaked rooflines, and some interesting gingerbread trim.

This one is totally different, and the only house for which I've been able to find a name.  It's the Cleland Clarke house.  Described as the 'jewel in the crown of the historic houses of Meaford' (Cathcart in Historic Homes of Grey County), it's described as an outstanding example of Second Empire style.  It retains all its original trim, and has both the square towers and the shallow hipped roof design.  Built in the 1870s by James Cleland.  I wish I'd been able to find this much information about all these houses!

I'm intrigued by this home since I watched it being renovated last year.  It was built in the 1930s so it has art deco design features.  It's recently been for sale, for $1.3 million!

This is a very different, smaller house, in a different part of town.  Sorry for all the wires, but I wanted to include that hydro pole draped in Virginia Creeper.  The house does have an interesting roofline.

But look at the curved stone lintel above a stained glass clerestory window.  This is relatively modern stonework I should add, but very effective in any case.

And thus ends my short series of historic posts on Meaford.  Hope you enjoyed them.




8 comments:

  1. Such lovely homes, all of them and I'd be happy to live in them but am enjoying our much newer home. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. homes. I could be happy in every one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting description of some fine old homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each house is a gem. Great series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the houses are interesting and quite lovely but that first one is my favouriteđź’—.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy these houses...and your comments to draw my attention to details. I should spend time walking along some of our streets and do the same. But driving is my choice of mobility usually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of those houses are also beautiful, I'm afraid I can't say the same about the second empire style house; there are a lot of historic houses of that style down here and I find them all quite unattractive. I particularly like the dark gray house with the board and batten siding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great series of architecturel house designs and all in one small town too.

    ReplyDelete