Monday, August 12, 2024

Historic Hotels

This was the sign that rekindled my interest in local history and led to these posts.  It was located outside the library, and gave you a QR code to look up the website.  I realized my age immediately because I had never been able to figure out how to read a QR code!  Luckily it gave me a website too (in fine print at the bottom), so I could look it up.

Paul's hotel stood where the library is located now, and if you look up the Tidbits website you can find much more detailed information on the old hotel.  Built it 1860, it burned down in 1960 and was replaced by a grocery store, now remodeled into a library.  Totally wheelchair accessible I should note!

The idea seems to be to present pictures of each of the historic buildings in front of the current building, so here is the current library, wit h the tiny sign in front of the window .  I just love going in here!

The other sign I quickly ran into was the old Royal Hotel, just a block away.  I pass this sign going in to McGinty's for coffee every week.  This hotel was demolished in 1921, to make way for an early Bank of Toronto.

And it's been replaced today with a branch of the TD Bank, and a financial office next door.

Across the street from that site is Meaford Hall, a remarkable building for a small town like Meaford.  Built in 1908 after fire destroyed the earlier town hall, the Mayor at the time was quoted as saying "it would be a monument to prosperity and progress", capturing the spirit of those years.  More recently it has been renovated to create a remarkable community space with a busy concert hall on the top floor where the original opera house was - and it's totally wheelchair accessible.

Outside the front entrance to Meaford Hall, rarely used in my experience, the balcony has been draped with bunting and a 'Happy 150th' banner put up.

And beside that entrance to Meaford Hall is parked the original wagon of the Meaford City Bakery.  Pulled by horses of course, it delivered bread around town.  Recently it has been restored by its current owner.

Credit:  I want to give credit right up front to Professor Viz Saraby of the George Brown College School of Architectural Studies, who is responsible for the student project that created Meaford Tidbits.  It certainly inspired me when I found the first Tidbits sign above.  As a former professor myself I know exactly how much work is required to supervise groups projects, so I congratulate her.  I'm only showing you a few examples of the work; the website (accessible by that QR code) has MUCH more information.  And in the meantime I have learned to use QR codes!


11 comments:

  1. awww, qr codes, i have learned also but do we really need to know?!?! i guess we do if we want to keep up with the times!! i still live in the town i was born in and i continue to learn about it!! this is a great post, you live in a beautiful place. i love the wagon from the bakery, it's cool to have artifacts from yesteryear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great project and they did it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a huge library!!
    Love the bakery wagon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That library is incredible, as are the other buildings. What a wonderful project to ensure the history is not forgotten (or in the case of younger residents discovered!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have two historic hotels. One lost the top floor in a fire but is, otherwise, still flourishing. The other building still exists downtown but not as a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world is changing fast. I recently learned to use QR codes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Virtually no interesting buildings are constructed nowadays, just utilitarian boxes. Well, you're ahead of me, I still don't have a smart phone and have never even thought about using a QR code.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see the interesting buildings in your town:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These old buildings are amazing. That bakery cart is real to us at our age but to the youth of today, it is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The more I see of your little town the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete