Tuesday, July 11, 2023

It`s Day Lily Season!

Just the past three days our Day Lilies have started blooming.  At last count I think Mrs. F.G. had 15 different varieties, and we`ll see them all over the next three weeks.  They are one of our favourite flowers, and mark the middle of summer.  Sorry I can`t list all the variety names, just enjoy the blooms.

One reason we have so many varieties of Day Lilies is that 10 years ago Mrs. F.G. discovered Artemesia Daylilies, a couple of Day Lily growers and breeders out in the country south of our previous home.  We visited them several times and always came home with at least a couple of new plants.  Since our own garden was just getting started we had lots of room for them.  You can visit them still, but now in a new location a short distance north of Kimberley on Grey Rd. 13.  Check them out at artemesiadaylilies.com.



18 comments:

  1. She has such a wonderful collection. I have not counted how many I have but I don't have 15 for sure. I like all of them but the ruffles one are magical. Both yellows are wonderful and that deep purple is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our day lilies just started to bloom too. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful and the photos are excellent. So crisp and clear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of beautiful flowers! I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilies are a very attractive flower. I can't believe how many you have around your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. F.G. has assembled quite a collection -- we have but two varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We’ve had two blooms on the same stalk, but there will be many more shortly. All of ours are similar tones (sort of muted yellow and orange) although there are several cultivars. I lost track of the names some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all your Day Lilies and especially the colors of that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my previous ones was was " Ming Porcelain" don't know if that was a commercial name or the grower's choice.Your colours are stunning.Looking forward to the others coming into show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Day Lilies are lovely! They ask for so little and come in so many gorgeous colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your Day Lily photos. My brother is a real fan of Lilies, I'll be sure to show him your pictures when next I see him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Day Lilies are everywhere! It sometimes seems that every one bursts into bloom overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I often wish I had more space and the appropriate exposure to keep more sun-loving plants like these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That purple one with the yellow throat is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! Daylilies are so reliable.

    ReplyDelete