Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Maple Trees are in Flower!

I know most of us watch for the Daffodils and Tulips, but the flowers I watch for are those on the Sugar Maple trees.  They are open right now here in Meaford, and they are fascinating!

The Sugar Maples take on a greenish sheen here, one of the very first trees to do so, and I think many people just think this is just the beginning of the green leaves.

In a way it is, but look closely and you'll see these don't look like leaves.

The closer you look the more likely you are to see the tiny flowers, the precursor of all those maple keys you'll see in the fall.

I cropped this last one a lot, and the flowers, held on those long green stems, are blowing sideways in a slight breeze.  but I hope you can see the tiny stamens sticking out.  So look for a low branch on a Sugar Maple and see what you can see!



12 comments:

  1. So nice to see all the trees. The first one against the blue sky is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I don't believe we have sugar maples here, but one of my trees in the back yard is beginning its process towards leafing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I knew that about the Sugar Maples but I do remember seeing them a couple weeks ago in that nature area behind London's Parkwood Hospital. Definitely not leaf like now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice observation Mr Gnomesh. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sugar maple trees are beatiful in their transformation.
    (Bill couldn't believe about the pizza shop! He'll pass it along to the crew).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like to see the ultra-green of the new leaves when they open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I wonder if our Maples have anything similar. I must pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t think of maples flowering. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought of you when I posted the Casa Loma stables. The trees are all flowering here now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those flowers are so delicate. Here red maple, which is more common, paints the hillsides with it's red flowers before the sugar maple blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty, i don't think i have ever noticed this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daily I see our trees changing into full forms and the branches are being hidden. My crimson king maple changed in less that three days to be in full foliage. Your tree shots show that you will see lots of green really soon.

    ReplyDelete