Monday, May 8, 2023

The Coming Change in the Garden

At this time of year it's the coming changes in the garden that i look forward to.  Indeed, the whole world changes here, into greens of every shade.  But the garden plants I can see up close, right outside my window, and they fascinate me.

The Hostas are the plants that change the most right outside my own window, and five of them are showing their usual spikes that will turn into big leaves in various shades of green.  This one in particular is a huge plant, nearly four feet across, when the leaves are full size.  They just seem to appear like magic out of the earth.

At the other extreme is this Hosta with tiny green leaves, here nearly full size already, emerging ahead of any others because it's in the full sun at the front of the house.  In contrast, the ones that are still just spikes are growing in the shade on the north side of the house.

Another of my favourite changes takes place with the ferns, which start out as tightly curled fiddleheads.  This is a Christmas Fern, which stays green under the snow all winter (hence the name).

And I have to compliment Mrs. F.G. on her spectacular tomatoes!  She did get carried away and plant her seed a little early since these can't go out for at least another two weeks, but she's got a wonderful head start of this year's tomato crop.

And here's another mystery plant.  It's just emerging in the first photo, and starting to show green leaves in the second shot.  Anyone recognize it?

The one I posted a week ago today was a white Bleeding Heart.


20 comments:

  1. Good work both of you. I have failed with tomatoes. I think I will get a basket of cherry tomatoes this year, again. Maybe. The company went out of business, though. I shall have to create my own I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think how neat it would to watch the growth in time lapse video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hostas seem to get going very late in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the hostas pop up too.
    That mystery plant looks like a peony to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. FG's tomato plants are doing amazingly ( I see she also has to use dowel to help support them).
    I really like that very light green Hosta that seems to be a spreader. Would you know the name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tomatoes, I can see a very good crop that will be fruiting ( Is that the right term) very early, well done. And the hosta leaves, they are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in zone 5a for growing things. I see northern Minnesota is in zone 3 so I can't imagine what zone you are in. I don't live in the south but compared to you we probably seem like the far south. We can drive south about two hours and they really are southern growth zones. Your plants are shooting through quickly and it is amazing how fast they change in size so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look like some good strong tomato plants. I always used to plant too many when I looked after my mother's garden for her. I've tried growing them in my tiny back yard but they never seem to come to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some interesting early shoots emerging from the ground. And yes those are lovely tomato plants!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guessing it is a peony. Things are just starting to appear in my north facing garden. The chives, the Jacob's Ladder, and a fern are showing green shoots. So exciting! My hostas will be much further behind yours.
    I won't be surprised if you are eating fresh tomatoes in just a few weeks - those plants are better than the ones I've seen at the garden centers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flowers on the tomatoes already, you folks could pollinate them with an artist's brush and have some really early tomatoes. One of our hostas has full sized leaves already, it's one that spreads wildly, even into the lawn where its leaves are regularly mowed off, but grow right back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need to get out onto my deck and start digging around in the planters.
    I thought that you would enjoy seeing the stables from Casa Loma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it nice to see so many green things sprouting?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nothing short of true magic each Spring to see life emerging out of barren ground, tree trunks, and branches. I will throw my money behind the folks guessing the mystery plant is a Peony. I wish I was a big tomato eater, but alas I'm not. I'm going to look into planting a peanut butter tree.........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to see the plants beginning to sprout.
    Mrs. FG's tomato plants are doing very well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. About a week ago I photographed tulips. Today I did again. A few days makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our hostas are also emerging quickly. I love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to tell you, the mystery plant is a pink Bleeding Heart, not a Peony.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saw this on FB and immediately thoguht of you. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=876411577179326&set=a.361045588715930

    ReplyDelete