Sunday, May 28, 2023

Along Nelson West

I sometimes ride down a stretch of Nelson Street West that doesn't get much traffic.  It's got interesting houses, old and new, including five of those old century homes I have written about previously.  What it also has is a lot of deteriorating pavement, breaking apart with small cracks that engineers call 'alligator pavement'.  And it's getting worse!  

There's one home where I can get close to this beautiful white Lilac.  It almost looked like it has passed its peak bloom.

There's also a wild apple tree on the edge of the small semi-wild stream valley.

I like these beautiful white Narcissus that grow in one garden that comes close to the road.

The house where I saw the Wild Turkey has this very bright patch of Tulips.  We don't grow Tulips because Mrs. F.G. has found that squirrels come, dig them up and eat them.

Before I got home again I passed this striking patch of Forget-me-nots.  These are part of a much larger patch that has extended into the nearby ditch.

****************

Now, forgive me while I rant about road conditions!  There is no sidewalk here, as in most of our neighbourhood, so I have no choice but to ride on the road.  And remember, I have constant nerve pain at the level of my spinal cord injury, which is emphasized with every crack I drive over.  Larger bumps are annoyingly painful!  And some bits of pavement are so bad I don't feel safe driving over them.  Take a look at this selection.

The broken grate in the last photo is bad enough that I could get a wheel stuck!

So there you have it, my rant against Meaford's widespread deteriorating roads.  If any of you know a local councillor, please refer them to this.  I will not bother you with it again this year, and I won't be riding down Nelson West anytime soon!


15 comments:

  1. Keep on the level tracks. Love those flowers, fancy that the squirrels liking tulip bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers, all the more so for your dangerous path! I am imagining the variety of scents from lilac to narcissis. Stay safe so you can keep on posting on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have every right to be upset over the state of the road, especially without any sidewalk. The pictures of the flowers are worth it, as long as you don't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers!! Wow that road is a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why it's called alligator pavement. It's actually a real disgrace and the city should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad that this little source of joy is being denied to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rant is well justifies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tulips, horrible road. It looks like there's little in the way of adequate drainage in that road, as if a coat of asphalt pavement was slapped down on the soil beneath -- of course it costs more to do it correctly, but then you get what you pay for and that was probably a "low bid" job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tulips and those white Lilac are beautiful! Sorry about the bad roads...we seem to have our share of pot holes this year:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you'd think the residents of Nelson West didn't pay their taxes. Of course they do, but it seems there, as it is here, residential areas don't get any attention. In my city, the priority are the new subdivisions.
    It's such a shame especially as it appears it is a picturesque place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I smiles at the lilacs being almost past their primes. Our leaves aren‘t quite out yet. The grate looks dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right about the bad road conditions and most people don't even realize that. My dad used a mobile scooter and complained about bad and uneven sidewalks etc. which he hadn't noticed when he had still been driving his car or walking on them. We hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one very nasty looking and dangerous section of Alligator pavement. Obviously there are no town councilors living along that stretch of roughness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so hard on you. Surely something can be done. I did enjoy your trip. I had a friend once with the same sort of issue, she loathed bath time in the LTC. They never knew how to manage her and thought they knew best. Glad you have great people on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our municipalities are really falling behind in caring for this type of infrastructure. Many of the lilacs in my area were hit by a late frost. Mine included.

    ReplyDelete