Sunday, May 21, 2023

Around the Neighbourhood

We've had a wonderful week of visiting with our daughter and her family.  They stayed around the house here, helping Mrs. F.G. in the garden while the kids climbed one of those two big Sugar Maples out on the golf course, and loved it.  Meals were big communal affairs, with of course Mrs. F.G. doing most of the work, but the others pitching in a lot, especially with clean-up  It's been an exhausting but very memorable week!  They're off to Ottawa now, to visit the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Memorial, where our son William's name is engraved, before flying home.

Meanwhile I've fallen way behind in my blog posts; for this one you have to go back two weeks to when the Magnolias were in bloom.

This magnificent Magnolia is just around the corner, and it puts on a spectacular show every spring.

Unfortunately its season is all too short, and on a windy day a week later many of the petals had blown across the lawn.

Two doors down in the opposite direction is this beautiful Serviceberry, an unusual but beautiful shrub for an urban yard.  I've seen it more often on my hikes.

It's a very delicate little flower, but the shrub is covered with them.

And of course ther are my favourite spring flowers, the Dandelions, spreading sunshine wherever they bloom.

I was pleased this year to see they were plentiful on the gold course field behind us, as well as on a couple of lawns nearby.  And I;, sure the bees appreciated them.

Another thing that has appeared recently are these lines of yellow flags.  I believe these are for underground installation of fibre optic internet cables.  I just hope they don't mess us my favourite riding routes!


14 comments:

  1. What a fun time for all of you!
    My magnolia hasn't bloomed yet! I just checked today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty trees! I'm glad you had a good visit with your daughter and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your visit went very well, I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time.
    The magnolias are simply beautiful. We don't have those here, at least I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it was busy but fulfilling. I love all your pictures, and yes that it an amazing magnolia tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Magnolias are so wonderful while they last.
    Glad that you had a fine time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful time together with family! Great photos of the magnolias. Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visitors and family keep everybody busy in the house. When they leave, it seems so very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of dandilions and trilliums up our way this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know you had a lovely visit with your daughter and family.
    Magnolias are beautiful but can be pretty messy when all those petals fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The older I get the less I am into these big family get togethers. I do a lot of the cooking in our house and what takes me four hours to prepare and cook is demolished in twenty minutes! One or two couples around the table is much more to my liking, and then we even have a chance for intelligent conversation, and linger a while over coffee and liqueur. And if I never hear another grandchild whining about what he doesn't like it will be too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too marvel at the dandelions each Spring. Just a week ago I stood over by our Park's pond admiring several clumps of the yellow sunshine thinking to myself how under appreciated their beauty truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those magnolia flowers don't last long at all, either the wind or rain tear the petals off. Shadbush, Juneberry, serviceberry, sarvis -- call it what you will, they're beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The magnolia in bloom is such a wonderful sight. We had one along one of our roads that we could enjoy when driving by. At our old place there was a great magnolia in which a new owner decided to chop it back into a lolipop tree. It was sad. You have some great flower trees to see. I always smile when I see a yard full of dandelions. I have a few that I need to attack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful flowers! So glad you had a good visit with family!

    ReplyDelete