Wednesday, May 24, 2023

In the Garden

Our daughter and crew flew back west last night, arriving in Vancouver at 11.30.  Seven hours time change getting here, only one going home!  But in the meantime more plants are blooming in the garden, and more to come.  The theme in the back yard this week is bright yellow, in the front it's a new deep red.  Here's a snapshot.

These bright yellow Icelandic Poppies are native to most of the sub-polar and mountainous northern hemisphere, but ironically not to Iceland.  They're now bred in a ranger of bright colours.

There's a patch of Leopard's Bane as well.

The plant we know as Manitoulin Daisy (Latin Hymenoxis or now Tetraneuris acaulis) from our times on Manitoulin Island is widespread in the western prairies, but quite uncommon this far east in Ontario.  We have seen it on the flat limestone alvar at Misery Bay Provincial Nature Reserve on Manitoulin, a park I had a hand in establishing.  It is certainly thriving here in our garden.

I love close-ups of all these composite flowers.

Out front our deep red Fernleaf Peony is finally in bloom.  With very fine narrow leaves, it's the earliest of the peonies to bloom here.  theyèr pretty uncommon as garden plants, and very expensive if you try to buy one.

You may remember two 'mystery' plants I posted images of on May 1st and May 8th.  The first of those was this luxuriant white Bleeding Heart that's growing in full sun out front.  

The second was this relatively sparser pink Bleeding Heart growing in the shade out back.  Much more to come as the garden unfolds over the summer.  Mrs. F.G. still has at least 100 seedlings to plant, all now out in the garage èhardening offè.  There's a risk of frost tonight and tomorrow night so they won't get planted quite yet.


16 comments:

  1. I have never seen Fernleaf Peonies before...I love them! What a contrast to our skimpily-stemmed overly heavy blossoming ones in a nearby garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think I’ve seen fernleaf peonies, but I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colorful flower gardens indeed and very well planned out and planted. When it comes to gardening you guys sure know what you are doing. And it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gardens. You two sure have the talent to create them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have many plants flowering at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely garden you have with so many colourful flowers. The Manitoulin Daisy I know from Germany. My parents had them in their garden and I forgot about all about them. This brings back nice memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers. I especially like the White Bleeding Heart. Mine is in the shade and is so sparse, maybe I should move it into full sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good display of bright colours. I was surprised to see that the field of peonies near me is still a long way from flowering, though the warm sunny weather we've been having should hurry things along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fernleaf peonies - the color is so deep and lovely. My pink bleeding heart is blooming, but like yours very sparsely. It's relatively new, just a couple of years old, so hopefully it is merely getting established.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful blooms.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are weeks ahead of us. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen a fernleaf peony and generally don't like peonies, but that plant may make me change my mind. Thank you for posting the photos and Mrs. F.G. for planting it.

    ReplyDelete