Monday, May 1, 2023

More Spring Flowers

The Daffodils provide such a nice burst of bright spring colour it's hard to look beyond them, but we have several more flowers blooming now and I like to chart the progress of the garden.  It's fascinating to watch flowers emerge, bloom and fade as the season goes on.  It's also good practice for me to remember the names since Mrs. F.G. only speaks Latin in her garden!

Right in the narrow strip of garden beside the front door we have these dwarf yellow Iris which I think are really pretty, and they spread voraciously, eating up the plants around them!

And right beside them is this mystery plant for you.  Recognize it?

I
In the front garden, mixed in with the Daffodils are these bright Hyacinth.  I like the deep purple ones best.

Blue Primrose have joined the white, and yellow will be close behind.

Our Hellebore has a lot more blooms, but they're still all turning their face to the ground.

Back at the far side of the patio is a clump of Pulmonaria, a flower that I don't remember seeing in bloom before.

And finally our runt of a Magnolia is blooming.  It was headed upwards as a nice shrub the first year, before a rabbit feasted on it for winter nourishment!  Now a few side twigs are trying to make up the difference.


18 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen magnolias trying to survive and blooming from those twigs like that. A good sign I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have a lot of flowers out. Isn't your mystery plant a Bleeding Heart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Hellebore just stood up for me!
    I loved the 'Latin' comment. That is quite droll! It is heart warming to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how the magnolia is still blooming ...
    I enjoyed seeing the beautiful Spring flowers.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to find a voracious yellow Dwarf Iris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful!
    My primrose have not flowered yet. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing to me that daffodils seem to dot the woodlands everywhere, far removed from people's gardens. I assume we have a caste of squirrel horticulturalists to thank for this lovely bonanza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the hyacinth scent. Can you notice it when they are outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is coming along beautifully. I especially love the hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love them all but the hyacinths are so pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures! My app thinks the mystery plant is a lupine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've no idea what the mystery plant is, though it has a heart shaped on the flower, I know it isn't a bleeding heart - the leaves aren't right. My favorites are the primroses. I've never ben able to grow them but they are so pretty.
    Thanks for sharing the spring flowers with us, they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, spring blooms. Our primrose is in bloom now, the hummingbirds return when they bloom and, sure enough, this morning the first male ruby-throated hummingbird showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to see all the fresh Spring colors popping up in the flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous!! i like putting hyacinth by the front door so while peeps wait for me to answer it, they can smell them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. Lovely flowers. The "mystery" plant is a white Bleeding Heart. I have a few along with the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam and RedPat have it right, the mystery plant above is a white Bleeding heart.

    ReplyDelete