Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Still Down in the Swamp

We're still down in that big swamp.  It's entirely a Silver Maple Swamp; these trees seem to enjoy getting flooded for a brief time in the spring whereas it would stunt many other trees.  And it's a place that looks very different over the seasons.  It's also a popular canoeing route, down the broad meandering Beaver River.

Right after seeing that goose we came to the river, first to the north and then looking south into the sun.  Every time I go by here I remember canoeing down this river, which I've done several times.


The bridge is an interesting one.  The old bridge, of steel girders, was deemed unsafe a few years ago, and they brought in this new welded steel structure, completely in one piece.  The truck had to back down that long hill to get to the river, and then with a crane on each side, they lifted it into place.  This is the only road where you can cross the river in about 12 miles, so it gets a lot of traffic.  Just across the bridge on the right is a popular canoe put-in or take-out spot.


Driving down a little further Mrs. F.G. got fascinated by these ice patterns and shot a few photos.  It's the one in the background with its head in the water.

Back across the river and we spotted more Canada Geese, swimming among the trees.  Did you notice the third one?

Shadow patterns also fascinate us.  They followed us as we drove out of the swamp to head further south.




  

15 comments:

  1. That's a swell river -- as in swollen.
    I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of water! Interesting how some plants/trees thrive on the flooding while others have not adapted.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah spring! Missed the third goose until I read your comment about it. The new bridge is attractive, surprising they didn't build a two-lane bridge even though it's a one-lane road -- engineers do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks cold and dreary. Glad the angle of the sun show spring is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back to look and still couldn't see the third duck. I well remember some of your canoe adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely drive. Great photos. I love the road stretching ahead and the ice on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so good seeing people out and about! Happy trails. I've got my feet up, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me a moment, but yes, I saw the third goose. I saw the first flock here yesterday.

    Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! I like the shadows too. Couldn't find the third goose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep an eye open for Hooded Mergansers right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks quite peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. shadows fascinate me also, i love the shadows in the snow so much!! i found the third goose!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, its sure looking swampy down there alright.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The geese are sure glad the water is opening up. Silver maples must be tough to be under water for a time. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete