Thursday, March 18, 2021

Back Home Again

After enjoying our time down in the swamp, we headed a little bit further south and then turned north just before Kimberley.  It seemed like we were home in no time on this bright sunny day, but we did stop in at the shore to check out what ice was left.

Some nice shadows across the gravel road as we drove out of the swamp.

Just before we reached the corner at Kimberley the river, running high just now, curves by quite close.  And looking across the valley you can see the snow on the old Talisman ski runs where I skied as a teenager.  I'm sure they haven't been used as ski runs for ten years or so.  The Bruce Trail crosses right at the top.

Then it was up the long straight road back to Meaford.  This big hill you go down just before entering town with its beautiful view of the bay is the ancient Algonquin glacial shoreline.

There wasn't much ice down at the shoreline, just some dirty thick patches on the boulders of the breakwall.

This was the most we found in the way of icy formations, a far cry from mid-winter.  Spring has definitely arrived.

*****************************

And guess what!  The street sweeper went by late yesterday afternoon, and by Saturday the temperature will be up at 10°C, and staying that high for the week, so I can get out for a ride.  What a sudden transition it's been this year.



14 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots, especially that third one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pic of the road into Meaford!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The view from on the hill before the road goes down to the town is amazing. Definitely calendar worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The very first time I ever had down-hill skies on was at Talisman and I remember how scared I felt standing at the top of the ski run before somebody nudged me on my way. I remember just trying to get onto the ski bar to go up the hill was a scary experience as well. You are so fortunate to have those road accessible high points around Meaford for all those spectacular views. I liked all those shadows on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dirt and gravel road shows that it's spring with a few ruts, unless there's geotextile beneath the surface it will probably be pretty bad in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you can get out and about this week, FG. Love those photos of the roads ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, the ice went out fast didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad spring is coming! Don't put away your coat though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently yesterday (Thursday) a place in Iceland was warmer than anywhere in Europe! Second place somewhere in Scotland. The weather is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we'll all appreciate the weather this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, we've gone from winter to spring so quickly. I haven't checked the long range forecast but I'd be happy to just have rain instead of snow for the next couple of months.

    Enjoy your ride and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you'll be able to go for a "walk" in your neighborhood! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so wonderful to get outside again. We are in a drought and our rivers are so low. You have a lot of places to visit. The snow in the distance in the one picture should be gone in a week.

    ReplyDelete