Monday, July 13, 2020

Day Lilies

The first of our Day Lilies are in bloom.  We were only able to bring a few varieties to our new house, but we look forward to their flowering every July.  They're bright colourful and come with an amazing story - as merits their name, each blossom only blooms for one day.

All of these pictures are courtesy of Mrs. F.G. and I still can't get over how well the iphone does close-ups.  Our Day Lilies are all planted down one side of the house, where I can't go unless the ground is really dry.

Each of these is a variety with its own name.  Day Lily breeders are a breed unto themselves!

As you can tell, my appreciation for them has something to do with bright colours I think.

There will be more over the coming weeks, and as soon as it's dry I'll be driving down there to see for myself.  At the moment we have some cooler weather, so I had a nice ride today without sweltering in the sun and heat!


19 comments:

  1. They're beautiful flowers. I hope the ground soon dries up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Daylilies. I think the one in the second last picture is my favourite.
    Too bad I've again had several plants infested by that dreadful Gall Midge. I don't know if it is a problem in Ontario yet. The same plants were affected last year and I picked all affected buds, sealed them in plastic and put them in the garbage. Yet here they are back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful pictures, and those closeups are stunning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked some daylilies, others I don't like. Sorry to say the fringed varieties are in the later category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your daylilies! Such beautiful colors and I've never seen one with the two colors like the second to last and last pictures. Ann M

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous! I have the orange ones, lots of foliage, but no flowers yet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilies are beautiful especially with the hosta leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous flowers and pictures Mrs F.G.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Beautiful flowers and images. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those blooms are spectacular.

    Glad it’s cooled off there! We have a cooler day here after two days of unfamiliar heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love daylilies, your blooms and colors are extraordinary!!! i love them, until i don't, when the "i hate daylilies" kicks in after all the blooms have faded. what to do then?? i have started to chop them down to the ground again, as caring for them becomes too much work!! i use to dead head them, oh the pain...so yes, they are so beautiful, until they aren't!! i hope i have not come off as debbie downer, that would break my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think one of my favorite things about blogging is reading the posts and seeing the pictures from bloggers all over the USA and the world. Day Lilies have been blooming here in East TN for several weeks now and some of my "early bloomers" have actually faded away already. I loved seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful flowers, lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a nice collection of Day Lilies you have there. Always a sure sign of mid summer. And yes it's the diverse colors I like as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!
    Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete