Sunday, March 10, 2019

What's Old is New - Espaliered Apples

That demolished orchard we saw on our drive down the valley surprised me enough that I headed for the internet to see what I could learn.  From recent publications by Ontario's Ministry of Agriculture and food I learned that apple farming is changing rapidly here in Ontario.  On the one side production is shifting to high density orchards, and on the other hand consumer preferences are shifting to new varieties.

Ontario's apple production used to rely on older varieties like Northern Spy and Red Delicious.  However in recent years the return from these varieties has ranged "from disappointing to disastrous".  Consumers have shifted rapidly to new varieties like Honey Crisp (my favourite0 and Sweet 16.

If you could read the price tags you'd see Honey Crisp at $70.00 a bushel, and Spartan (an older variety) at only $31.00 a bushel.  You might think Honey Crisp is an expensive apple (and you'd be right).  But turn it around and see it from the farmer's point of view, there's an apple that will double my return.  He'd be thinking of planting a few of those new trees sooner rather than later!  And that's exactly what farmers are doing.

This is that field of downed apple trees that got me thinking about all this.  Once you make the decision to renew your orchard, it's an easy step to plant at high densities.


Right across the road is this high density orchard, the first planted in the Thornbury area I believe.  The down side is the cost.  Planting 1000 trees per acre with all the associated fencing costs $10,000.00.


There other rising costs too, like labour.  All orchards here depend on migrant workers, usually from Mexico, to do the harvesting and sometimes the pruning.  These trailers provide acommodation on one farm near here.
Some orchards are now being planted at 2000 to 3000 per acre, unheard of densities until now.  Why?  The return from a high density orchard is about double the return from a traditional orchard.  Here's where the 'espaliered apples come in.  A trellis system of fencing will allow each individual tree to be tied up and grow vertically - a lot of work.  Add deer-proof fencing around the outside and you're ready to harvest - after spending as much as $45,000.00 per acre.

So in the future I expect to see more and more orchards like this, including the demolished orchard across the road.  And you'll be eating a range of tasty new varieties rather than the traditional ones.


13 comments:

  1. We have three apple trees tied along the fence at the edge of the yard and the squirrels have never let us have even one apple!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will take a generation or two to see if modern high intensity, chemical dependent cultivation of monocultures is sustainable but as an applied ecologist I doubt if it is. I'm an old guy so I won't see what happens but there are already problems showing up in some agricultural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. zi like Jonagolds and Fuji the best, and I really don't like Red Delicious ones at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have the good old varieties here, but also new ones that I have not heard of. Like fishing, the orchard industry has a lot of costs, huge ones, before the produce gets to market.And even at $70 a bushel ( about 21 kg) still cheaper then here .They look so appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's expensive running a business no matter what you do. We are in early Autumn here so we have an abundance of Apples coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey crisp is our favourite as well, but getting up to $4.00 US per pound here in the southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me so sad to see trees downed...I peddled past an area yesterday that use to be beautiful wetlands...EVERYTHING has been leveled for some damned new community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to see how the expense adds up and what they do to produce the most economical crops. I'm not too fussy on my flavour of apples although I do like Gala and their price is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of money to put into it, and to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not being a big apple eater I'm afraid I'm way behind in my apple knowledge. However, I do like apples bi-products. Apple pie, soft apple cider, apple juice, and apple crisp. I too think it's sad sometimes to see perfectly good trees cut down. Oh just remembered, I do eat an apple a day when I put them in my morning 'Sounds Yukky - Tastes Yummy' shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just took an RV trip from Washington to Arizona. Throughout California we saw orchard with either dead or downed trees. We also saw lots of new orchards planted much like the one in your post, especially olive trees. I think part of the orchard problem in California was left over from the drought years. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that Honey Crisp and Sweet 16 are U Of Minnesota Introductions....they have quite an apple program. I personally like Braeburns the best:)

    ReplyDelete