Monday, March 11, 2019

The Red Prince

The Red Prince (another new apple variety) is a great example of the new trends in apple production and marketing.  Introduced only a few years ago, it is Ontario's first genuine winter apple.  And I'm eating one as I write this.

The Red Prince was first discovered in an orchard in Germany.  It is a naturally occurring cultivar of Yellow Delicious and Red Jonathan.  It was named after the orchard owner, Mr. Princen, with a nod to the deep even red colour of the apple.

Irma and Marius Botden, who ran a tree nursery in Holland, immigrated to Canada in 2001.  Before immigrating they negotiated the right to be the only growers of Red Prince in Canada, and they brought rootstock from their own nursery with them.  This is the high density orchard they planted some years ago, the only source of Red Prince apples in Canada.

The orchard looks better in the early fall, with green leaves and apples.  The high density rows and relatively small trees are much easier to harvest - with a return per acres double that of a conventional orchard, as I mentioned yesterday.

The straight narrow rows with access space in between allow for maximum reception of sunlight, which promotes the growth of apples.  It also helps with the 75%n reduction in pesticide use.

We were reminded of this story when Mrs. F.G. bought a bag of apples a week or two ago.  Looking up the 'Red Prince' on the internet provides quite a lot of detail.  Unusually, this is the best apple for sales in the winter.  Indeed, it is stored or 'cellared' (like a fine wine) and only available after Jnauary 1st (and only in Ontario).

It is a wonderful apple for eating, especially at this time of year.  If you can find it in your local supermarket, I urge you try it.  I think it's already become my new favourite.

16 comments:

  1. I think that's the first I've heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I would grab it in a heartbeat! I wish we had them. If you ever get the chance, try a Jonalicious...NOT Jonagold. They are delicious, too. A cross between a red delicious (which I don't like at all) and a Jonathan. They are crispy and juicy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll sure look for it now. It looks a lot like the apple I ate yesterday, a Fuji. Aren't we lucky to have such a plethora of delicious apples to choose from? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And those jars look like marmalade? and some yummy jam/The laden tree, what testimony to a couple who thought so far ahead and Canada wins with another wonderful apple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when apple knowledge seemed a lot simpler. McIntosh seemed the biggy, harvest apples were yellow, and Crab apples were really neat for throwing. Nowadays when you type 'apples' into Google you get apple iPhones, apple computers, apple iPods, iPads, etc. etc. Geeezzz, whatever happened to good old eating apples anyway. Maybe those Red Prince fellas can turn things around.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip will have to look for them when we get home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all this FG. We have a second bag in the fridge right now bought up in Meaford and it is becoming one of our favourite eating apples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could eat raw apples...but they have to be cooked or I have an allergic reaction. Weird, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like a nice crisp apple. Will look for Red Prince around here. I'll let you know if I find them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOVE apples, better cooked than uncooked. i will be on the lookout for this one, i usually get gala apples for eating raw!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must confess that it is new to me. I will be sure to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of these apples, but they look amazing! I will have to see if our local stores carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apples with a it of peanut butter, delicious and nutritious snack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are so many different kinds of apples in stores these days. The one I miss is the old green Pippin apple I loved for making pies and crisps. - Margy

    ReplyDelete