Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pasque Flower

Things are starting to happen in the garden, beyond those early dwarf iris and daffodils.  A new plant for us, Pasque Flower, came into bloom a few days ago.  Pulsatilla vulgaris, this flower has a lot of horticultural varieties, and so comes in many colours.  Ours is a soft mix of light yellowy-brown and pink.  It's quite small yet, and I'm looking forward to how it will look full grown.

I would hardly have noticed this in the garden if my wife hadn't pointed it out, it's so inconspicuous so far.  She says it will spread and get bigger over time.

But I was surprised to find it blooming this early in the year.  It looks so fragile, but we're still having temperatures below zero at night.  But it's name reflects it's usual blooming around Easter.

I know I hop back and forth between the natural world and the garden, but they're all a reflection of the seasons, which this blog is all about.  Tomorrow a walk in the woods and some spring wildflowers we saw today.  Spring is finally springing here!

Linking to:
http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.ca/

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! This is such a beautiful flower and I thank you so much for sharing it with Today's Flowers. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I see that K on her Romping and Rolling blog, has Pasque flowers there too. in Colorado. Is this a sign that spring is really there with you both ? We have squally showers, colder nights, a light frost on the roof last week, truly autumn down here. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty color, mine are all purpleish. Your leaves look different too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't these beautiful flowers. Pretty colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blossoms. The colour is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i enjoy your hopping, i hop as well!! my blog is the story of my life, i enjoy varity, it's the spice of life!!

    pretty flowers with very unique coloring!!

    ReplyDelete