Friday, June 28, 2013

The Moon

It was the so-called 'supermoon' a few days ago, and I did try some moon shots recently - with better results than ever before, thanks to more experimenting with exposure, a good tripod. and some intensive cropping.


The half moon was shining nearly two weeks ago, when we gathered on the shore of Lake Eugenia to try sunset shots, so this was taken while the sun was still sinking, well before dark.  I was astonished that some of the craters actually showed up on this.


This one was from the night of the full 'supermoon', when the moon is at its closest to earth, and therefore looks a tiny bit larger.  I'm not sure it makes much difference, but here it is.  Linking this post to Skywatch Friday.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! You really captured some great detail of the "supermoon"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Your own shots of the moon were fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting; I've been enjoying returning to shenandoah with you too.

      Delete
  3. Great moon shots! I love the color on the super moon! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; amazing pictures from the Everglades you posted.

      Delete
  4. Great moon shots. It was great getting photos of the supermoon/strawberry moon wasn't it.
    Thanks for stopping by my site and requesting to be added to my Canada Blog Hop. I've added your site this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding me to your list. I'll post some garden shots in honour of the occasion.

      Delete
  5. Stunning shots. Happy sky watching.

    My sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos; thank you for stopping in at North of Wiarton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice!! You must have a strong telephoto lens to get such fine detail on the supermoon [or is it merely an enlargement?]. I was with 30 other photographers on a moon shot, but few got anything as good as yours. Kudos! BTW -- have you tried converting the blue to black in the half moon shot [e.g., in Lightroom by dialing down the saturation on the blue slider]? It make the moon pop --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley, thanks for your very encouraging comments. As I said in the first sentence of the post, it's probably the cropping that got me the photo - but I guess it had to be good in the first place to show up. In fact I'm just a novice, shooting mostly on 'auto' til 3 months ago, and only working with Lightroom for a month yet - I have an awful lot to learn. So thanks very much. I will try what you suggest.

      Delete