Monday, June 24, 2013

Hart's Tongue Fern Fiddleheads

Hart's Tongue Fern Fiddleheads - these tiny fiddleheads are the last to emerge among the ferns, and the Hart's Tongue is extremely rare in North America, though we happen to live in the one region where it is found - along Ontario's Niagara Escarpment between about Latitude 44 and 45 degrees North.


It's found among the mossy boulders in shaded, sheltered corners below the limestone cliffs of the escarpment, where temperatures are probably a bit cooler than normal, on the talus slopes.  The fern is evergreen, and last year's fronds are still lying on the ground - but it doesn't look like many ferns you've ever seen, just one solid leaf 8-10 inches long, like a hart's (deer's) tongue.

The rest of these are a few other first shots with my new macro lens - I'm linking this to Macro Monday2.





7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Hart's Tongue Fern! That would be quite a rarity in northern NY. Love the macro shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have picked up the secret of your macro lens already, I'm still churning out the odd blurred photo with mine - but what a neat toy to have! The flowers and beetle are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots! Have fun with your new lens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your contribution to Macro Monday 2. You are one of the many special people who make this meme a success. Hope to see you again next week!

    Magical Mystical Teacher

    Bicycle Seat Close-Up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for visiting. I've just started linking in to these 'memes' I've discovered, and it's very interesting and a lot of fun. I do expect to be back, and explore sites of other contributors. The bug shot is my first acceptable one, 'cause it sat still a moment, but I can see I have a lot to learn to be able to attach names! Please drop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots of hart's tongue. I would not have guessed that it's a fern. I shall have to look for it when I'm on the escarpment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out the picture of a full grown hart's tongue fern (taken last year), in my 'Fern Hike' post in early June. And those pictures of herons on your blog are truly spectacular!

    ReplyDelete