Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Buds are Swelling

While I was spotting my first robins, starling and redwings of the year on my walk yesterday, I also noticed how much the buds on the trees were swelling, especially the buds of the poplars.  We've got several clusters of Balsam Poplar, Trembling Aspen, and various hybrid poplars around the loop I walk with the dog every morning. They seem to be the first ready for spring.

These first three were a cluster of Trembling Aspen; their buds were swollen the least, but trees were striking against the sky.

These two were Balsam Poplar; they seem to have large buds ready to burst.  They get sticky later when the leaves are ready to unfold.

And this is a hybrid poplar on the edge of our front yard.

There's one Weeping Willow I go by, which was looking bright yellow.

Even the buds on this beech tree are large and obvious; they won't unfurl until well into May.

Linking with:
http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.ca/

13 comments:

  1. We had poplars on the property when I grew up. They were always early getting started in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check the buds here. I haven't been out in the bush for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees in our area of Colorado are just beginning to bud. We may still get snow in April so they will take their time until it gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super photos My F.G., sorry if the iNag is at your place, it might be here at times too!! None of the first three here, , maybe I need to have a birthday soon and put in an order. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With glorious skies like that it shouldn't be long till spring is in full flow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am afraid our skies here are not as brilliant as you photos; The teaser of Spring Sunday must have been a pre-amp to a bad April Fools joke. Brrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sharpness of the photo and the beautiful blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these - a sure sign of spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful blue sky. Glad spring is coming up your way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sky is so brilliantly blue this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that the willows turn yellow like that. Spring is budding out here slowly also. I saw a snowdrop blooming in the yard today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buds are barely swollen here, but the early colors that signal it are starting to show.

    ReplyDelete