Wednesday, July 17, 2024

The Tall Ship TS Playfair

The 'tall ship' tied up at the dock beyond the lake freighter looked tiny indeed!  Beside the freighter it was short and small; I didn't know how 28 sailors could live aboard her!  Of these, 18 would be new trainees, but aside from the First Mate and Captain, all would be 13-18 years of age.

As I understand it, training courses last a week, and everyone has to be 13, but no experience is necessary.  I think it would be a great adventure!

The rear deck looked very interesting to me, with the life buoy, the life raft and the helm.  It would be a busy place with people all moving around!

And I'm sure that safety would be a big part of the training!

The helm seems like the centre of the ship to me.  I wonder how responsive the ship is when it's under sail?  It looks so peaceful tied up at the dock, but I know it sometimes gets rough on the lakes!

As for the rigging, that's totally beyond me.  I'm sure there's a logic to all of this, but it would take me awhile to understand, let alone to climb the rigging and raise or lower the sails!

Meanwhile, Mrs. F.G. was intrigued by the decorative pattern on her bow.




12 comments:

  1. The intricate woodwork , specially at the helm, and that rigging, great photos showing what I would never see in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely requires a certain amount of youth. I don't imagine the instructors are geezers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that would be a great adventure for a young person!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful ship! Just think the old-time sailors probably would have know the name of every line in the rigging and its name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Occasionally tall ships come to the island. Amazing to see them in the bay! I can only imagine what it was like for my ancestors to have crossed the Atlantic in one of them, so many people crowded below deck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting story about the ship. And yes it would be something fun to experience as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely little ship. I imagine a week of sailing her would only be the tip of the iceberg in really learning how she runs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exciting opportunity for the young people! The ship looks interesting, and very small for that amount of crew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Mrs. FG, I can appreciate beauty but I'm not a 'sailor' especially on small water craft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are one or two training ships like that around our East Anglian coast - everyone always seems to be having a good time. 28! No wonder they keep sending people up the mast to make a bit of space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that boat does indeed look small for that many people. Having been in the Navy years ago and living aboard a destroyer (HMCS Saguenay) I do understand a little bit about crowded quarters aboard ship. I too find the decorative patterns intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this post and photographs.
    We have some training ships like this in the UK, they are popular with the younger generation.
    More details can be seen here
    https://www.tallships.org/

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete