Saturday, April 22, 2023

I Don't See Many Wildflowers Any More

If you've been with me a few years, you'll remember that I often enjoyed a long walk in the woods.  Even from my childhood, a walk in the woods has been special to me, I think because it was one of my mother's favourite things to do.  But there's one place where I see two nice spring wildflowers at this time of year.

Down at the west end of Nelson St. West, in front of an old home, this is, believe it or not, the largest patch of Bloodroot I've ever seen.  And it's right here in town too!

Bloodroot is a favourite spring wildflower, one of the earliest to bloom, while most others, like Trillium, bloom in mid-May.

I've cropped this in a long ways, so you can see the unusual shaped leaf in the centre.  You can also see, on the right hand side, how the leaf curls around the stem holding the bloom, like a protective sheath.  In fact it is designed that way, protecting the plant from frost.

This is the old home, with a huge old Sugar maple out front that was at this stage still providing a lot of shade (the leaves haven't emerged yet).  That pile of fresh shavings at the base of the tree is fresh shavings from a woodpecker excavating bugs, and you can see some Bloodroot blooms on the far left.

The same big old tree after the Bloodroot have faded but now the May-apple are unfolding.

The May-apple are like little trees.  They hold a circle of narrow leaves horizontally, and a small (Chickpea sized) 'apple' underneath.  In this picture you can see a small patch of lighter green Bloodroot leaves in the foreground, though the blooms have totally faded.

So those are my woodland wildflowers for the year.  I will return in a couple of weeks to see if I can get a picture of this year's May-apple (though the pavement on that stretch of road is so bad I have to screw up my courage first!).  And needless to say, the old maple was cut down a year or too back, so the shade isn't quite as dense anymore.









17 comments:

  1. Bloodroot seems to enjoying spectacular success this year. It is prolific throughout every woodlot I regularly visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a patch of bloodroot, I usually see it as scattered individuals or a patch of ten or 12 plants. It is truly a beautiful flower even if it lasts but a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty.
    I've noticed some Mayapple popping up around Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with bloodroot. It is a wonderful flower and it spreads well. That tree looks dead to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That clump of Bloodroot is amazing!! I'm still mourning the disappearance of my double ones last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any Bloodroot this year yet but I will keep my eyes peeled for it over the next few days when I am out and about in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen bloodroot. It is a beauty alright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloodroot is a flower that I'm only aware of through reading blogs. That really is quite a patch to find in town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite a patch of bloodroot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! It's a shame when old trees are removed, but I suppose that becomes necessary at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those are so pretty! And although you see fewer flowers, you make the best of it all and share your bounty with your admirers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen those Bloodroot but had no idea what they were called. They are so pretty in a large grouping. The May-apple too. As children, Mom and Daddy would take us out looking for morels and they were always near where the 'umbrella plants' (as we called them) lived. :)
    I love the old tree and apparently so does the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice collection of early wild flowers. I've seen much more gangly bloodroot in our woods, perhaps because the soil isn't as rich, or something. Mayapple is such a funny plant, I think! Sad always when a grandfather tree has to be cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is such a hopeful time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a really nice patch of Bloodroot! :)

    ReplyDelete