Where John Muir worked in 1864-65. The property along the Bighead River on the edge of Meaford on which Trout Hollow sits was recently donated to the Environmental Biosphere Conservancy, one of the largest conservation organizations in this part of Ontario, by the Knight family. Trout Hollow was the sawmill owned by the Trout family where the famous American conservationist John Muir spent a year or two working in 1864-65.
Muir himself headed south through the United States, eventually walking all the way to Florida, working for a time in a wagon wheel factory. After a brief stay in Cuba he arrived back in New York and took a train to San Francisco. He spent the rest of his life there, dedicating himself to nature conservation.