Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Winter has Arrived!

We woke to snow, lots of it as this big storm unfolds.  And the storm featured lots of wind blowing out of the north, so the window was plastered with snow creating patches of ice and long rivulets of rain as it melted.  But you could see through the ice on the window that we had lots of snow outside!

It was about 15 cm. (6") here, and it's supposed to keep snowing all day.  Things were slow to get going in the neighbourhood until the plows arrived, but my caregiver did get here, well before the plows, even though a little late.  Our sidewalk shoveller got here before we even woke up!

I think everyone on our street is retired except for one lady.  So several of the short driveways are blown out by snow removal folks, including ours.  About 10 men still feel healthy and determined enough to get out their snowblowers though and do it themselves.  I always enjoyed blowing snow until you-know-what happened!

The two decorative pots by the front door that Mrs. F.G. created of evergeen boughs and red osier stems were both blanketed in white.  This was a wet heavy snow, not the light fluffy stuff, so it stuck to everything.

Out in the back yard the spruce trees were covered in snow, though not nearly as deeply as if there had been no wind.

The wind that accompanied the wet snow meant that even the vertical sides of our shed had snow - though the camera focused on the raindrops on the window.  It's definitely a day to hunker down inside, since we have the luxury of being retired.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.




14 comments:

  1. Ugh...so early for a snow storm but there it is. Lawnmowers changed over for snowblowers here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I am a tad surprised that a Canadian academic such as yourself is using "plow" instead of "plough". Please know that my tongue is firmly in my cheek when I say, "Shame on you!"



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must admit that I do get tired of those old English spellings sometimes.

      Delete
  3. The best kind of weather. We're due to get some of it in the night and well through tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. December has definitely arrived in Ontario with a vengeance!! It is lovely although inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been coming down all day here too but has been melting on the roads & sidewalks. The trees looked lovely this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are having that same weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's pretty to look at! We haven't had real snow yet but it is cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, hip hooray! Snow storms! ha ha, sorry for the sarcasm. Nice that the neighbourhood gets cleaned up quickly though for those that might need to get out.
    I like the looks of the planters covered in white. It looks fluffy but it was indeed heavy and wet as well.
    Enjoy from the great indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You folks definitely got a lot more snow than we did and checking our live Exeter radar I could see your area was really getting clobbered. Checking that same radar this morning I can see your area and ours is clear and free of snowfall. At 7:30 a.m. skies are light in the east and I'm wondering if we might even see a few rays of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that is definitely a real snow event. I'm glad our snow usually stays in the mountains and we just have to deal with the cold part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lot of snow there, but it is pretty.
    Not much here in the lower elevation of Vermont

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have captured some great snow formations. I had to sign up with a guy to remove my snow for this winter. I like using my snowblower too but not this winter. Take care.

    ReplyDelete