Thursday, April 9, 2020

Hiking Videos

I don't know if you've discovered the incredible range of videos available on YouTube, but I've recently discovered that there are thousands of hiking videos to watch.

In my previous life I was always out hiking or as I would describe it walking and exploring.  I'm not sure how we connected with this, but it started with a video of walking pathways in the English Lake District, and I was hooked.

Mrs.F.G. watches videos on sewing and knitting, and I watch videos of paraplegics and the tricks they've developed to be comfortable. YouTube throws up other videos they think you might be interested in and that's how we started.

I soon searched for 'hiking the Appalachian Trail', and discovered in the process the Pacific Crest Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, and of course our own Bruce Trail.  I've now hiked the Appalachian Trail three times and I'm currently just finishing the El Camino pilgrimmage in Spain.

The best of these videos are taken with a head cam and leave you with the feeling that you're walking through the woods or climbing that mountain.  They include the personal side of hiking, camping, cooking, and so forth that gives the video a really human feeling. I'm quite impressed with the quality of both photography and narration given that these are all amateur hikers taking a video as they go.

 These are now a highlight of keeping myself amused along with reading a good book, in this strange time of social isolation. Just go to YouTube and search for whatever topic you like and see what you find!

 Meanwhile here at home a drift of tiny crystals of white stuff just blew across the backyard and the golf course behind it. But thankfully the sun came out and the weather in about 30 seconds turned decent even though it's quite cold and windy.

Hope you're finding absorbing things to keep your days enjoyable!

14 comments:

  1. We had wet mucky snowballs on and off today. The sun came out so the dog and I went for a nice walk up the bush road.
    I would love to see videos of the El Camino. Once upon a time I thought of making the pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, YouTube videos are a good way to escape home confinement lately. Since you like the British Isles, photography and hiking you may enjoy Thomas Heaton's videos, the most recent ones are confined by CORVID-19 but his older ones may be just to your liking -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhW84xfA6gEc4hDK90rR1Q/videos

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great you found the hiking videos. I watch people going through old abandon houses that are full of history. I am glad you didn't keep the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. So glad you have found videos that can help. The information via technology is terrific even if it makes us sit more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea as a way of passing time without being being stuck watching television.
    We had some Gropple later this afternoon as well.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We too have discovered YouTube since we don't have television anymore.
    Ken and I have had the pleasure of walking in the Lake District.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our good friend across the hall watches a lot of YouTube, so much so that she has given up her cable TV for YouTube TV that includes regular channels. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I had never thought of looking for videos of hiking, especially the Appalachian trail I have read several books by through hikers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check out Time team. It's on archeological findings about the romans in England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good ideas! My husband watches You Tube music and dancing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although not a big You Tube user yet I do find myself drawn to it from time to time. Certainly a great information source. While reading if I come across a certain type of aircraft I'm not familiar with I will often go to You Tube for more information on it. Same thing for anything else I'm reading about. Hadn't thought about hiking videos so maybe I'll go have myself a look see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you enjoy the Camino? How lovely that you can "hike" it from your chair! I just realized it's Good Friday. And Easter is this Sunday, in the midst of the pandemic. I wish you and your family a safe and productive time ahead. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have been discovering the resources available on You Tube. The range of subjects is incredible. One thing I have found during this period of imposed isolation for people, is that more and more are forwarding stuff to me. It is getting to the point where it is too much unless I want to spend all day at a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete