Sunday, October 8, 2017

Suddenly the Sumach is Red!

The Fragrant Sumach, when it turns brilliant red, is the epitome of fall for me.  I looked out the window this morning, and the clump of it up on our front meadow had turned from green to red.  In only 4 days it made the switch, and now it's glowing a brilliant colour in the sunshine.

There's just nothing to beat the sun shining through the red Sumach leaves, and I can't believe how fast they've turned this year.

The double lines of leaves  create fascinating patterns of shadows and teeth along the leaf edges.

The shadows of higher leaves in front border the top of these leaves in an interesting pattern.

As you can tell, I'm looking for nearby photos and simple blog posts these days, while I busy myself filling yet another box with stuff!  I'm now at the 3rd degree of ruthlessness in getting rid of stuff.  At this point I'm thinking I don't need to keep anything except my camera, computer, and some plates to eat off!  But we did enjoy a great Thanksgiving dinner tonight, in at Steven's Restaurant, which has saved us from cooking for several recent Thanksgivings!

 Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Gotta love the red Sumach, I have noticed a few around the are as well. Happy Thanks giving and keep on packing and purging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they stand out right now still surrounded by green trees.
    I did a major declutter earlier this year----freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious - fabulous - outstanding. What color!!!! We think we might be getting our first frost here tonight - no clouds in sight so it might happen. We've had such a dry summer and early Autumn that the leaves here mostly are just curling up and falling off the trees - except for the small leaved Vine Maples - bright bright bright. Happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last photo, great design for another quilt!!! Yes, You have to be ruthless is what Hugh would say to me if we ever move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sumachs are just about the only thing that are changing colour around here so far. They look great when the sun shines through the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Great macro photos!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful brilliant red sumac. And Happy Thanksgiving. I enjoy your posts, simple or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, pretty colors. The sumac here is looking beautiful too. I hope you and your family had a happy Thanksgiving. Happy Monday and enjoy your new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures as always.
    When Downsizing it is amazing what we amass in our lives. Being Ruthless is the only way to do it.
    Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is so pretty, with the glow of the sun and the beautiful shadows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sure is pretty.
    We are going through things too now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous colours....some look like goldfish hanging on a line!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you.... As I have said before, I love the REDS of Fall ---even the Sumac which I normally do not like... Our prettiest RED bush in Fall is one called Burning Bush.... So far this Fall, not many of them have turned red yet... We need some colder weather to get our leaves to change and so far, that hasn't happened...

    Check out my blog post when you get a chance... We took a tour to the Antelope Slot Canyon in Page, Arizona, and it was amazing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I think that's what I was looking at yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sumach is hard to resist when the sun shines. We are trying to get rid of unnecessary stuff in storage, keep a bit, recycle lots, give away etc etc but hampered the Chef's son who lives in Canada and has left a load of his stuff with us. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete