Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Barn or Three

I'm back to share some more barn pictures.  And I've suddenly got even more interested in rural architecture.  I heard a talk by a local heritage expert, and it was suggested that a collection of photos of rural buildings would be useful to the local museum - great!  A reason to keep taking such pictures.

An old traditional barn, but still in use to house cattle.  This was quite a distance across a field, and I caught it just as the sun turned the roof white.

This barn has definitely seen better days!  I'm afraid that this picture will end up being a 'before it disappeared' record.

This was a smaller barn, but I was struck by the cornfield that had not been harvested successfully before winter.  I'm told it will still have a fair value if harvested in the early spring.  Last year there was a late spring, and then not very much summer heat, leaving the corn struggling to ripen this far north.

I like this barn, right beside a road I sometimes drive down.  It has a newer gambrel roofed barn at the farm end, and two older bank barns at this end.  I think they create a protected space in between.

Some of the cattle or calves are often right behind the gate when I drive by.  Once I stopped, finding two calves outside the gate on the road.  A neighbour and I got them back into the farmyard, but no-one appeared to be home on the farm.


Just checked the outdoor thermometer, which says -30°C (-22°F), and that's the actual temperature, without considering the wind chill.  The forecast is for -41 with the wind chill in the morning!  Don't think I've ever seen it actually that cold.

15 comments:

  1. Some great old barns...we are lucky to have so many to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about it, but I'm sure a lot of these barns will not be around in the not-too-distant future. Good that you are documenting them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good neighbor and a fab photographer. Best wishes as you chronicle the barns and farming lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following your series on barns with great interest. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous winter barn shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice snowy shots. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of barn shots. I do love the greying wood. Most of our barns are unpainted iron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like the barns with the cattle and the corn field. Beautiful! That one barn is absolutely HUGE. I have been pinning my barns to Pinterest. Now after reading what you wrote, I'm thinking that my board should have been Barns of NW Wisconsin instead of just Barns of Wisconsin, making it easier for those hunting to narrow it down a bit. I love taking photos of barns, for up here, those old empty barns probably won't be standing much longer, due to our climate and deep (6+feet) frozen ground and thawing and heaving of the springtime. Loved all your shots today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the barn shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful barns, you are definitely a lot colder than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes. We did not get that cold here! I always like to see the barns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great barns and a wonderful reason to take more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your rural barn photos. Noticed that they were not painted. This must be traditional in your area? I have been studying barns for quite some time and like seeing other folks photos of barns in their area. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like them all. I'm sure a local historical society would appreciate any photos to preserve what was after it is no longer around. Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete