Monday, March 25, 2024

The Birds Invaded! Finally!

As I went to sit at the window a couple of weeks back, a flash of red caught my eye.  It was a Cardinal!  Haven't seen one in ages, though I heard them singing around the neighborhood last week when it was so warm and I got out riding.  And then in about 5 minutes four other birds flashed out the window - more than I've seen all winter.

The first one I got a good photo of (at least good for my phone camera) was a White-breasted Nuthatch, climbing upside down as usual on the feeder.

How's this for the unique patterns on its back?  I love the three-tone colours.

Then the Cardinal settled down among the detritus of last years garden, presumably picking out sunflower seeds from among the leaves.

I think the Cardinal is the iconic bird of spring here, its loud piercing call easy to recognize from its typical perch high in the treetops.  Though 30 years ago I remember my mother being excited to see one they were still so unusual.

Then a Mourning Dove flew in and perched in the red chair with a bug in its beak.  Dull colouring overall, but those dark spots are iridescent in the right light.

Finally a Dark-eyed Junco ran behind a big pot, only appearing briefly as it dashed away toward the neighbors.  Not a very good photo, but it completed the sudden five minutes of visiting birds for me.  After a winter of seeing no birds, I was relieved!

Today is a bright sunny day and getting warm.  I think I'll go out for some fresh air!


15 comments:

  1. ooooh how wonderful!! i feed and see these birds all winter and i feel super lucky!! the junco is one i only see in the winter. great captures using a cell phone, i am happy they are visiting you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is some nice flashes of feathered color you have there. And, to just think....in only a few weeks time we shall begin to see the early arrival of Spring songbirds and oh my how wonderful to hear the air filled with their happy songs of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see the birds that visited your feeders. I love the cardinal. Their red color pops out in every season!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great shots of the nuthatch, and I am so happy to see and hear that your springtime birds have finally arrived. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selection of birds. I haven’t seen a nuthatch this year and I’ve never seen a cardinal. Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good variety of birds to have in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birdwatching is a lot of fun. Your nuthatch is pretty with the unusual markings. Very different from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a mourning dove out front yesterday. Although they are around, I don't often spy cardinals here although I would see them a lot back in Sarnia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! We don't see cardinals here..I've actnever seen one anywhere. For us, the juncos and robins herald spring. Since I'm no longer feeding the birds, I haven't seen either just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Juncos have been gone from here for a few weeks but there are lots of Cardinals around this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not many birds down here this winter either, apparently reflecting the reported 30% drop in the number of birds in North America. Thanks to you: climate change, pesticides and habitat loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see the birds, I always enjoy seeing Cardinals, such a lovely colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete