Sunday, March 10, 2024

Grey Roots Museum Visit

Yesterday we headed out to visit Grey Roots Museum on the edge of Owen Sound, a place we really enjoy.  We maintain a family membership for the two of us.  We went for the model railroad day; I've always been intrigued with the historic railways that came to Owen Sound.  I ended up somewhat disappointed, but there was a fascinating exhibit of carving that surprised me.

This was the model railroad, two small trains moving around a large oval 'doughnut' table.   Neat little trains, but somehow I was expecting more.  Sorry, both trains were moving so a little blurry.

There was a talk about the trains coming to Owen Sound we went to as well.  Learned a lot, but there was no good map - and I'm a geographer.

There was a new exhibit of stained glass windows that was nice though.  These are the actual windows removed from the old Desboro United Church, now beautifully restored by museum staff.

I remember sitting in church as a very young child and counting the panes of glass like these in the big windows of the Kilsyth United Church.

And this is the remarkable exhibit of carving, genuine folk art done over many years by Erskine Brown who lived near Kilsyth where my dad grew up and my grandparents lived.  Sorry, these are all in plexiglass cases, so there's some reflection and glare.  This is the carving I like best, 'cause I could just picture a farmer returning from the woodlot with a load of firewood.

A stage coach of sorts.

And a team of eight horses pulling a wagon, a hearse by the looks of it.

I'm absolutely sure that my grandfather had a carving of Erskine's, and I certainly recognized the name.  He was 15 years younger than my grandfather, and 20 years older than my dad, and lived nearby.  It would not have been surprising if they knew one another.  Small world!

15 comments:

  1. Love the carvings. My grandfather brought wood home the same way! That piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work that goes into carvings such as you show here amazes me. Months, years? I have no idea how many hours it would take.
    Too bad the train displays were somewhat disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible carvings. I'm glad you shared them, even with a bit of glare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stained glass windows.
    Lovely carvings.
    I wish you could come and see Ken's Layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be fun to see more trains on that event. But wooden carvings look nice. The stained glass windows are so beautiful and thankful they were safe in that museum. Good memories of the church you were at when you were young! I was talking with a friend via phone about a man in our city who would carve wooden things as well! I remember seeing them years ago but less people do it now days. Only at a craft fair! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame the train displays were disappointing.
    The stained glass windows are beautiful.
    The carvings are amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to see how exhibits keep changing there. Always something different to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, those trains wouldn't have been what I was expecting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the carvings but too bad about the trains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The train displays used to be much better. My sister worked there as curator and we enjoyed all the displays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some museums are disappointing and some are fascinating. When you consider folk carving, the most intricate assemblage I've ever seen is a complete circus in the Shelburne Museum in Vermont with 3,500 figures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i understand your disappointment. locally, at christmastime, there is a train display here that is amazing. we go every year and i have shared many of those visits here on my blog. you have probably seen them!! the carvings are really beautiful, i'm glad they were part of the exhibit, and you enjoyed them so much. i did as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i checked the post and you left me a comment so i am happy to know you saw it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful carvings! My husband could have a train exhibit all his own:)

    ReplyDelete